Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-15 13:23:14

funkaddict

[SOLVED] Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: '' When starting appli..

Hey there,

I am running Arch-Linux with XFCE. I installed scilab yesterday on the machine. When I try to start the application in the terminal, a window blinks for a fraction of a second and closes immediately. The feedback from the terminal is:

Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: ''

I get the same error when trying to start the application from the whisker menu. I searched around but my issue does not seem to be directly related with other related problems with the given feedback with the gtk-icon-sizes as those often are related to a broken desktop. However, in my case everything seems to run great, besides I cannot start this new application.

I tried to change themes and icon-themes in the xfce settings without results.

I would be thankfully for any hint.

Last edited by funkaddict (2019-10-16 06:59:32)

#2 2019-10-15 15:24:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: '' When starting appli..

I get the same message but scilab starts for me. Note: I had to install the scilab-bin package from the AUR since the scilab package won't install due to invalid keys. Perhaps there is a difference between the two?

You can eliminate the IconSizes error by specifying IconSizes via:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/IconSizes -s "gtk-menu=16,16:gtk-button=20,20:gtk-dialog=48,48"

This is old GTK2 stuff that is no longer relevant in Xfce 4.14, but it appears that this app still looks for it.

I'd look at debugging scilab to see what is stopping the execution.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-10-16 06:58:33

funkaddict

Re: [SOLVED] Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: '' When starting appli..

ToZ wrote:

I get the same message but scilab starts for me. Note: I had to install the scilab-bin package from the AUR since the scilab package won't install due to invalid keys. Perhaps there is a difference between the two?

Thanks for the hint. I uninstalled scilab and installed scilab-bin instead. This works now. Somehow.

ToZ wrote:

You can eliminate the IconSizes error by specifying IconSizes via:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/IconSizes -s "gtk-menu=16,16:gtk-button=20,20:gtk-dialog=48,48"

This is old GTK2 stuff that is no longer relevant in Xfce 4.14, but it appears that this app still looks for it.

ToZ wrote:

I'd look at debugging scilab to see what is stopping the execution.

I am still at a beginner level with arch. So I won´t do that for now. As the workaround with the scilab-bin works for me.

Last edited by funkaddict (2019-10-16 06:58:59)

Board footer