Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-16 18:55:22

daunbailo

Error editing Menu Applications

Hi there,
on Whisker editing view I see the following error: "Invalid desktop files detected! Please see details".
I click on Details and I see this one: https://imgur.com/T0niyNP

[Desktop Entry]
Name=View file
MimeType=application/pkcs12;application/pkcs12+pem;application/pkcs7-mime;application/pkcs7-mime+pem;application/pkcs8;application/pkcs8+pem;application/pkix-cert;application/pkix-cert+pem;application/pkix-crl;application/pkix-crl+pem;application/x-pem-file;application/x-pem-key;application/x-pkcs12;application/x-pkcs7-certificates;application/x-x509-ca-cert;application/x-x509-user-cert;application/pkcs10;application/pkcs10+pem;application/x-spkac;application/x-spkac+base64;
Exec=${exec_prefix}/bin/gcr-viewer
Type=Application
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=true
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gcr

How can I fix it?
Thank you!

#2 2019-12-17 07:29:10

John Jason Jordan

Re: Error editing Menu Applications

I'm guessing that the problem is in the problem is in the Exec= line. What happens if you double-click on the .desktop file? I'm betting that nothing happens because the gcr-viewer executable is just in /bin and it doesn't know what to do with the ${exec_prefix} part in front of it. Try typing just /bin/gcr-viewer at the command line and see if it works. If it does, then delete the part in front and re-save the .desktop file.

#3 2019-12-17 18:28:44

daunbailo

I do not understand where to find the .desktop file about this issue.

If I type "/bin/gcr-viewer" in Terminal I get: no such file or directory
If I type "gcr-viewer" I see the viewver

#4 2019-12-17 19:32:44

John Jason Jordan

daunbailo wrote:

I do not understand where to find the .desktop file about this issue.
If I type "/bin/gcr-viewer" in Terminal I get: no such file or directory
If I type "gcr-viewer" I see the viewver

Sorry, I should have mentioned about where .desktop files are located. Normally they are in /usr/share/applications, but they can also be in /usr/applications or in your home in ~/.local/share/applications. I like to keep them all in one place, and most application installers put them in /usr/share/applications, so I corral them all into there. Of course, that means I need to use sudo to edit them. And there is a problem with GUI file managers (Thunar, etc.) - they display the file by the application name/icon rather than the actual name of the file. It's hard to edit a file when you don't know what it's called. I right click on the application listed in the GUI file manager, which gives me the real file name. Then in a terminal I use nano to edit them, as 'sudo nano <filename>.desktop.

As for editing it, you have already discovered that it launches with just 'gcr-viewer,' so once you have the .desktop file open for editing just delete everything from the Exec= line, leaving just Exec=gcr-viewer. Save the file and all should be well.

I noticed one more thing in the text of your .desktop file. There is a line that says 'NoDisplay=true.' That means in won't appear in your application launch menu. You can change this if you like: 1) change 'true' to 'false,' and 2) add a line that says 'Categories=Utility;System;.' You can have it appear in whatever menu category you want just by editing the Categories= line.

Board footer