Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-14 08:10:24

maniacmusician

lost my menu in the panel

Hey,

I'm running Xubuntu 6.06...
my problem is that I have made my "Applications" menu in the top panel dissappear. Earlier, I was editing my menus, and I created a new menu file that I could add as a submenu to my existing one, and when saving, I think i overwrote ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml. At first, nothing happened. I opened the menu editor again, and went to add my newly created menu as a submenu. Thinking that ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml was just where I had saved my new file, I added that. At that point, things started to freeze up and menu editor went on the fritz. my top and bottom panels dissapeared and returned shortly, but with the "Applications" menu missing. I went to use the right click menu on the desktop, only to find that it wasn't there either. Someone suggested that I delete the existing menu.xml file, and when I logged back in, everything would be fixed. I took his advice. now i have my right click menu back, but still no Applications menu. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

#2 2006-08-14 22:23:37

maniacmusician

Re: lost my menu in the panel

Hi;

I figured it out. For anyone else that maybe has this problem, all you have to do is go to the top panel, right click, add new item. Go down to the bottom, selec "XFCE Menu." Then for the title, you just say "Applications", and for the icon, you go to /usr/share/pixmaps and select "xubuntu-logo.png" i hope that helps someone. Now i have one more problem...but i'll start another thread for that.

#3 2006-09-12 00:43:11

hpp3

Thanks for the tip maniacmusician, that's much easier than what I have been doing. I have this exact same problem, (Xubuntu 6.06 and Slackware 10.2) except I went to /etc/xdg/xfce/desktop/ to copy the default menu.xml into my /home/username/.config/xfce/desktop/ folder.

This is something that has been driving me absolutely nuts... When I try to alter the menu in any way to put my own preferred apps in there, either my default menu.xml completely disappears or if I hand-alter it (with nano, vi, mousepad, whatever) XFCE refuses to display it. I even copied it to something called altmenu.xml and checked the "Use Custom Menu" option and it simply refuses to display any menu but an unaltered copy of the original.

I've tried a million things to get a custom menu to display and nothing works. This is the only thing about Xfce to date that I have had any significant problems with, and I have been with it since 3.x (I still miss the original xffm, I mean, Thunar's great, but... sigh...) can anybody help?

#4 2008-05-03 17:07:01

derekge

Thanks for that easy suggestion - it worked.  :-|

Board footer