Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-17 01:30:57

Riddle

Xfce Terminal don't work with non-root users.

This problem has already post a year ago (by another user), but no answear yet. Now my Terminal only work with root. As non-root, a Terminal window appear for a half of second, and disappear, no message, even with debug build.
Damn! Xfce choose the name "Terminal" making searching for help is very hard. Why don't you find a more specific name.

Here some more info:
Terminal version 0.2.4.
dist: Slackware 10.2 (current)

#2 2006-08-17 01:33:02

Riddle

Re: Xfce Terminal don't work with non-root users.

Please help me to solve this weird problem. Without Terminal, I can't do anything.

#3 2006-08-17 04:45:22

thehundredthone

try running it from xterm/gterm/eterm/aterm and see if there's any error. maybe a problem with the shared libraries

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes
That way, if they get angry, they're a mile away and barefoot

#4 2006-08-17 07:50:51

Riddle

I run it from xterm. No message at all.
If root can run it, maybe a permission problem, I guess.

#5 2006-08-17 08:25:47

Riddle

Desperated, I try sakura (also a vte base terminal), and the same problem like Terminal. Almost certaintly it's a vte problem (about permission, I guess).

#6 2006-09-07 09:44:36

simon

Riddle wrote:

Almost certaintly it's a vte problem (about permission, I guess).

I thought so too, but have tried several versions of Terminal and vte, both pre-built and built from source, and nothing works. As you mentioned, it's hard Googling for such a generic name, but even so there are a couple of other posts on other forums about this problem...but no solutions anywhere. I've looked through strace output, lsof, logs etc. to try to figure out why it's working for root and not users, but I don't have the skills and/or patience for this...after changing the permissions on several files that looked to be involved and all those re-installs, I've given up and gone back to xterm. With decent Xresources it does the job just fine. It's a pity though...Terminal is a nice little app...when you're root!

#7 2006-09-08 08:56:52

bmeurer
Website

The problem is most probably that the login shell for your account is not setup properly, which causes VTE to tell the emulator to quit immediately.

#8 2006-09-08 10:33:46

simon

bmeurer wrote:

The problem is most probably that the login shell for your account is not setup properly, which causes VTE to tell the emulator to quit immediately.

Yes...me and all other regular users. Any ideas what the specific problem might be? I wouldn't know where to start...everything else seems to be working perfectly. It can't be my own settings (.bashrc and so on) because newly created users can't run Terminal either. Normally I'd be poking around in /etc, but the system with the problem is a nearly new (Slackware) install, and I can't think of anything I've reconfigured that could have screwed things up. I notice that the person who started this thread is also running Slackware, so perhaps it's something simple like a package we've failed to install? I didn't do a full install...just left out packages I was sure I wouldn't need (games, Apache server and so on)...but maybe something is missing that VTE requires but xterm is happy without?

Thanks for your work on XFCE, by the way...some of the best software ever written IMO...does what it's meant to do without showing off and making a nuisance of itself. Beautiful stuff.

#9 2006-09-09 09:44:28

bmeurer
Website

Make sure that a valid login is set, i.e. run chsh and check the "Shell:" line, or use whatever tools your distributions offers.

#10 2006-10-30 07:14:26

Riddle

bmeurer wrote:

Make sure that a valid login is set, i.e. run chsh and check the "Shell:" line, or use whatever tools your distributions offers.

Yes! It works like a charm. Thanks!

The problem is the user's default shell. When we (slackware users) create new user by useradd command, we usually skip the `-s shell' parameter. (Perhaps, other distro users create new user by a GUI app).

Here is what I done:

make sure I am root
#chsh <you-user-name>
... and type the default shell (/bin/bash)

Not a permission problem, huh?

Thanks again!

#11 2008-04-05 14:45:01

dirks

Hi Riddle,

I just came here because of a different (but very slightly related) problem with Terminal, so I'm a bloody newbie in regard to it. Even though, I just wanted to clarify something:
Since you already said "we usually skip the '-s shell'": When you consider your /etc/passwd, are the shell entries for normal users now set properly? If not, then becoming root, calling a shell as another user and starting Terminal (If I understood that correctly) is a workaround but does not fix the real problem - which is that the login shells are not set correctly.

Regards
Dirk

Board footer