Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-10 08:17:52

blackdisk

Trash service fails at life?

The trash icon on the desktop isn't working. There is an error at login that says the Trash service isn't working, and that I should be using Thunar. What does thunar have to do with the desktop? The trash icon works in thunar, just not on the desktop. How can I fix this or get rid of trash on the desktop? I would also like to turn off all the other desktop icons that have been added on thie new version. How can I manage these?

Note: I don't mean I want all the icons gone, only the ones that now only appear in xfce. Especially the trash if it can't be fixed.

#2 2007-01-26 08:39:28

alpha

Re: Trash service fails at life?

Same here, I only want to 'rebuild' my trashcan. But for you, I already found a work-around. If you manually delete items, they will be send to the .Trash directory of your home directory. Or they will be send to .Trash-<username> on another partition. If you want to delete this stuff for good, open up a terminal in the same directory (with thunar). Now

to delete a file
rm <filename>

Wildcards are allowed.

to delete a directory
rm -r <directoryname>

You could add the -r switch so you don't have to confirm everything. Plus, I think that the trashcan is a symlink, but I don't know to where...

#3 2007-01-26 08:54:42

Nick
Dev
Website

blackdisk wrote:

The trash icon on the desktop isn't working. There is an error at login that says the Trash service isn't working, and that I should be using Thunar. What does thunar have to do with the desktop? The trash icon works in thunar, just not on the desktop. How can I fix this or get rid of trash on the desktop? I would also like to turn off all the other desktop icons that have been added on thie new version. How can I manage these?

Note: I don't mean I want all the icons gone, only the ones that now only appear in xfce. Especially the trash if it can't be fixed.

What Xfce version are you using, because this should be fixed in rc2 / final IIRC. (The Thunar backend provides the trashcan on the desktop via dbus)

#4 2007-01-26 09:04:16

alpha

It's a weird story. Nautilus hijacked my desktop, I managed to switch back.
http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=3023.0
But when in nautilus, I 'accidentally' 'deleted' the trashcan. A new reïnstall of my system would do the trick.
I think I don't have D-bus enabled because I open thunar it says so.

Board footer