Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-22 05:05:31

pastored
Website

sound events & xfsound

I read that XFCE 4.4 was released today.

I have to ask...

...have sound events been re-incorporated, like xfce 3.8 had?

I've been hoping for this since 4.0.

I read once that someone had hacked together a version of xfsound4, but I've never been able to get in contact with that person.

So... any thoughts as if sound events are supported in this newest version, or will be supported soon?

Thanks so much!

G.B.Y.L.B.T., PastorEd
Registered Linux user #316504

(God Bless Your Linux Box Today)

#2 2007-01-22 14:42:57

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: sound events & xfsound

Nope, there is no support for system sounds in Xfce 4.4 and there are also no plans to add this.

Note:
It's not very hard to add something like sound support (I assume for switching workspaces and that kinda stuff), but it doesn't fit in the philosophy of Xfce. And from the developers kinda view: there are more important projects (then sound support) that need C-code smile

#3 2007-01-22 16:58:48

pastored
Website

Re: sound events & xfsound

Thanks for the reply!

You mention that it's not very hard to add something like sound support.

I've heard that before, and I am perfectly willing to do any work I can to get sound support added for XFCE. However, I am not a coder. Therefore, what would be "not very hard" for a coder to do becomes an insurmountable task for a non-coder.

So, the only "work" I can do on getting sound events support in XFCE is to repeatedly sound the call for its use.

It worked in 3.8... would it really be that difficult to port to 4.4? If it wouldn't be that difficult to port, then would someone please take an afternoon and port it? I can bribe you with fudge... My wife's fudge is amazing, and I have actually sent fudge to other open-source coders who were able to get other projects working...!

mmmm..... fudge.... <grin>

G.B.Y.L.B.T., PastorEd
Registered Linux user #316504

(God Bless Your Linux Box Today)

Board footer