Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-30 13:30:22

etnlWings

Want to add new categories to the system menu

Okay, so I switched over to Xfce on my Ubuntu 7.10 install after Gnome 2.20 proved unstable. I've used Xfce as my alt desktop for a while but now that I'm sticking to it, I need easy menu access to my most used apps - namely, M$ Office.

Now, I figured out how to add/edit entries in the system menu easily enough by adding .desktop files to my /home/user/.local/share/applications directory and it's simple enough to change/add the (eg.) Categories=Wine; parameter to the .desktop files but I've got one problem here:

If I want to move a launcher to an established category (be it Network; Multimedia, etc), I don't have a problem but that only allows me to use established categories. If I were to set Category=CrossOver; or Category=Application;CrossOver;, it simply makes the launcher disappear from my system menu.

Now, if I can't add categories to the system menu on the user level, I imagine there has to be a root-accress xml file somewhere on the system, which defines categories for all users. I know there's /etc/xdg/applications.menu but that appears to be for Gnome's menus. Is there an equivilent for Xfce's menu anyone knows of?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
etnlWings

#2 2007-10-30 13:41:26

etnlWings

Re: Want to add new categories to the system menu

Never mind, figured it out. I copied  xfce-registered-categories.xml from /etc/xdg/Xfce4/desktop to /home/user/.config/Xfce4/desktop. All I had to do was edit one entry at the end.to stop the CrossOver category from being merged.

It works!

Board footer