Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-24 12:34:51

etnlWings

Getting Xfce Settings to display as a menu

I've just done a fresh install, going from Feisty to Hardy, with the latest Xubuntu desktop and I'm having trouble getting my desktop back to the way I like it.

Previously, the, "Settings Manager" (xfce-setting-show) was an option in the settings submenu of the applications menu. While this option was there, the settings submenu also contained individual links to each of the configuration dialogs, meaning I could just click directly on, "Display Settings", "Window Manager", etc from the applications>settings menu without needing to use the more awkward manager.

In Xubuntu Hardy, these are the only entries in the settings submenu:

menuwoeslu4.png

This forces me to use the manager, which I dislike.

I've done everything I can think of but nothing seems to restore my settings menu to it's previous state.

I've even tried removing

<menu name="Settings" icon="gnome-settings">
        <app name="Settings Manager" cmd="xfce-setting-show" icon="gnome-settings" snotify="true"/>
    </menu>

from menu.xml, in the hope that the, "system", menu would correct the problem in the absence of that code but that just leaves me without the settings manager as well.

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Cheers,
Ick.

#2 2008-05-24 13:27:13

Wapush

Re: Getting Xfce Settings to display as a menu

Hi

It's not related to Xfce. Ask the maintainers of the Xfce packages for X/Ubuntu who decided to stop supplying the ".desktop" files which show the various configuration tools in the menu.

#3 2008-05-24 15:30:52

etnlWings

Thanks for the speedy reply. I thought that was a possibility as well but looking through the various directories, I couldn't find the scripts/binaries to direct to in my own .desktop files. It's easy enough to do if I knew where to look.

Edit: Wait, figured it out. There aren't individual executable binaries for each configuration tool. They can be opened up by running

icaria@xubuntu-box:~$ xfce-setting-show workspaces
icaria@xubuntu-box:~$ xfce-setting-show xfwm4
icaria@xubuntu-box:~$ xfce-setting-show volman
icaria@xubuntu-box:~$ xfce-setting-show ui

etc. xfce-setting-show simply resources the various libraries in /usr/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins.

#4 2008-05-24 18:25:29

Wapush

The easiest way to retrieve them, would be to use a Xubuntu Feisty or Gutsy LiveCD and take the ".desktop" in /usr/share/applications/ .

#5 2008-05-25 03:34:28

etnlWings

Except I've only got the vanilla variety of Ubuntu on CD. I can think of better ways to use 600mb worth of bandwidth.

Also, I've made all of them except one - Thunar's preferences. If anyone knows a command to invoke thunar's preferences dialog, it'd be appreciated.

Board footer