Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-05 13:20:17

ab

problem with menu list after "update-menus" in debian

Hello all.

I am using debian testing 2.6.24-amd64 with xfce4.4.2

I noticed that after the installion of each application, there is suddendly the "link" in the menu list in the xfce menu, in the correct category (es, mplayer in "multimedia" and so on). I read the xml setting where all the applications are divided into categories, and I read also the source for building the menu and customizing it (in /etc/xdg/xfce4/menu.xml and similar). All the application can be divided thanks to the categories menu in /etc/xdg/xfce4 and all the application names are taken from the "system"... (this is what is written in the menu.xml)

Once I digited "update-menus" in the terminal and now, besides the correct list of each application in its own category, I have an entry called "other" which has been filled with ALL the applications installed in the system. Quite annoying.

Alas, this entry named "other" in the menu is within the "system" list so I really do not know how to remove it.

I apologize, but so far I cant explained my-self any better. I hope I've been clear enough.

thanks,
ab

#2 2008-07-11 07:44:15

ab

Re: problem with menu list after "update-menus" in debian

Hello. I found the (straightforward) solution of my little problem. I'm posting it in case it might be useful to someone in the future.
After launching "update-menus", in my Debian lenny 2.6.24-amd64, the system created a directory in ~./local/share/applications called menu-xdg.
In  ~./local/share/applications/menu-xdg/ there was a long list of files called "X-Debian-Applications-..." and so on. I've simply moved it.

This list was showing up as a category called "other" among "accessories" "games" etc.. in the xfce menu.

Bye all.
ab

Board footer