Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-08 20:29:10

gbs

Where are all the files containing the Desktop Menu?

I'm running Xfce-4.4.2 on a GNU/Linux Debian unstable system.

Right clicking on the desktop shows me the Desktop menu that currently has 16 items on it, ignoring separators. When I invoke Xfce4-MenuEditor I see a corresponding list but this has only 9 items. The file corresponding to this is in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml. I'm looking for the files containing the rest.

Within the list from Xfce4-MenuEditor there is a pair of lines that correspond to the missing bits. The first is `--- include --- system' and the second is `--- include --- menudefs.hook'. I've been able to find the second at /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menudefs.hook because of its strange name but I'm stumped with the first.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.

gbs

#2 2008-12-10 22:11:07

gamin

Re: Where are all the files containing the Desktop Menu?

Hi.
The rest of the elements that displays the menu sorted by categories correspond to the archives. desktop to be found in /usr/share/applications.
The structure of these files is governed by the rules of freedesktop. More info at This link

#3 2008-12-11 11:17:10

gbs

Thanks to gamin for the reply but it doesn't help.

First of all, I have no file archives.desktop (I presume that is what `archives. desktop' means in his message).

Secondly, the missing elements are Accessories, Games, Graphics, Multimedia, Network, Office, Other and System. The word `Accessories' appears nowhere in /usr/share/applications.

Finally, the menudefs.hook is a .xml file with `<menu ...> profusely scattered throughout looking very different from the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.

gbs

#4 2008-12-11 11:56:00

gbs

In my last post I said that gamin's reply didn't help. That was incorrect!

As a result of his  post I found http://standards.freedesktop.org/ and within that is basedir-spec. This showed me places to look and I've now found my missing menu information in one of the files in  ~/.cache/xfce4/desktop/.

Many thanks, gamin.

gbs

Board footer