Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 21:26:48

Mig21

Menu editor

Hi

Just installed Xfce 4.6. There doesn't seem to be a menu editor available any more.

According to the sticky I have to create, edit, and delete desktop files as root. Pardon me for not being very excited about that - are there any other options available?

I'm running Slackware (no Gnome).

Thanks

#2 2009-03-13 22:11:52

Wapush

Re: Menu editor

A new menu editor is planned for Xfce 4.8.
You don't need to edit desktop file as root, just copy it in ~/.local/share/applications.
For more details see Customize the Xfce menu

#3 2009-03-16 12:51:17

xfcelav
Website

Wapush wrote:

A new menu editor is planned for Xfce 4.8.
You don't need to edit desktop file as root, just copy it in ~/.local/share/applications.
For more details see Customize the Xfce menu

I wonder where you can find a list of changes and improvements that include Xfce 4.8

url: blog.desdelinux.net
twt: @elavdeveloper

#4 2009-03-21 10:12:35

wlkngowl

I've had trouble creating top-level menu entries. (I want E-Mail Reader to be on tp with Web Browser.)

Anyone figured out how to do this? When I add items as Xfce Top Level, they are instead mixed in with the other menu items in alphabetical order.

#5 2009-06-11 15:07:40

maddmike

I just loaded XFCE4.6.1 and noticed no menu editor also.  So from the above posts I take it I have to wait until version 4.8 for an menu editor?  It also sounds like there used to be a version in 3.x, correct?

Thanks!

#6 2009-06-12 04:24:22

grimm26

wlkngowl wrote:

I've had trouble creating top-level menu entries. (I want E-Mail Reader to be on tp with Web Browser.)

Anyone figured out how to do this? When I add items as Xfce Top Level, they are instead mixed in with the other menu items in alphabetical order.

After hitting this same issue and fooling around, the problem seems to be that ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu is not honored.  If you modify /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu directly, things will show up in the Top Level.  I just opened a bug on it.

#7 2009-06-12 16:24:08

svensson

As far as I understand you most also copy the wanted *.desktop files to .local/share/applications and then edit your menu. It worked for me anyway.

#8 2009-06-16 13:35:32

xerkitsko

Good ideas, but for now did you know you can access the image editor via the File menu of the Shup history window?  There are Open Image and Create New Image options to choose from.  Is that what you meant?

The copy/paste functionality will be a great addition.

#9 2009-06-24 15:15:32

oscar

It's really a pain not to be able to edit the menu via an interface....

#10 2009-06-25 09:40:59

svensson

If you want to edit the menu manually just follow the link http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu
AND pay attention to copying the desired apps *.desktop file to .local/share/applications from /urs/local/share/applications/

Hint from my /home/user/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu:
snip....
<Include>
    <Filename>xfburn.desktop</Filename>
    <Filename>xfce4-terminal.desktop</Filename>
    <Filename>thunderbird.desktop</Filename>
    <Filename>firefox.desktop</Filename>       
    <Filename>xfce4-about-xfce.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-logout.desktop</Filename>
    </Include>

<Layout>
        <Menuname>Settings</Menuname>
        <Separator/>
        <Merge type="all"/>
        <Separator/>
    <Filename>xfburn.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-terminal.desktop</Filename>       
    <Separator/>
    <Filename>xfce4-about-xfce.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>thunderbird.desktop</Filename>
    <Filename>firefox.desktop</Filename>
    <Filename>xfce4-logout.desktop</Filename>
    </Layout>
..../snip

You also have to edit the .local/share/applications/*.desktop file and change to this:
Categories=X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;

This gives me xfburn, xfce4-terminal, xfce4-about-xfce, thunderbird, firefox and xfce4-logout at top level in the xfce-menu.

Hope this is of help...

#11 2009-07-07 17:18:29

nj

I can confirm what grimm26 said, this is quite an annoying bug, especially for someone like me who is not that acquainted with Xfce like most users here. At least it can be "workarounded" via editing /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu, I hope this will be past at one day though... (I know that this forum is not for reporting bugs, just wanted to confirm that this workaround works)

#12 2009-07-07 20:29:04

haveanotherpuff

thanks i was having same

#13 2009-07-07 20:35:14

gally

A strange thing happens to me. I edited /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu and removed <Filename>xfce-run-program.desktop</Filename>. Well, now "Run program ix mixed with other categories and I dont like it. I looked for a file named xfce4-run-program.desktop so to remove it but I cant it. I suppose its hard coded inside xfce. Is this true? if not is there a way to remove that entry and others like help about, web browser.... those not include in <Merge="all"/>

Thank you in advance

Board footer