Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-26 12:23:44

mattsimis

Disable lock screen on hibernate resume

Im using the latest Ubuntu (Mythbuntu) 9.04 and Ive asked this all over the Ubuntu forums and no replies. Its fairly simple, how do I disable the lock screen from appearing prompting for password when the PC resumes from Hibernation?

Its an in-car install and it auto hibernates when the ignition cycles. All very smooth except for having to dig out the keyboard to type in a password. Gnome and KDE have simple applets that allow disabling Lock screens selectively, but cannot figure it out in XFCE.

#2 2009-09-27 15:31:10

martinbaselier

Re: Disable lock screen on hibernate resume

I have a similar issue. Whenever I close the screen of my laptop, the screen is locked. It's just annoying, not to be able to turn it off.

I've removed execute permission from /usr/bin/xflock4, but this makes no difference. I thought the proces might be triggered by the button.
Can someone tell me, where to change this?

Edit: when the screen saver daemon is killed. this does not occur anymore. I'd still like to have the screen saver enabled, to turn of the back light when the system is not used.

#3 2009-10-08 18:43:48

jarnos
Website

mattsimis, does it happen even after you start hibernate from the Log out dialog of Xubuntu 9.04?

martinbaselier, you could try disabling/removing the lines that start a screensaver daemon in /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to prevent locking in Xubuntu 9.04 or less. You could remove this:
<clip>
# Launch xscreensaver (if available), but only as non-root user
if test $UID -gt 0 -a -z "$VNCSESSION"; then
    if test x"`which xscreensaver 2>/dev/null`" != x""; then
        xscreensaver -no-splash &
    elif test x"`which gnome-screensaver 2>/dev/null`" != x""; then
        gnome-screensaver &
    fi
fi
</clip>
If you still want xflock4 to work, install xlockmore.

Xubuntu 9.10 uses xfce4-power-manager for which there is a setting not to lock screen when going to suspend/hibernate.

#4 2011-09-19 00:24:20

DArseneau

The previous message is a couple of years old, but as of Xubuntu 11.04 there is a check-box in Settings manager > Power manager > Extended > "lock screen when going for suspend/hibernate", but IT DOES NOT WORK.  Upon returning from suspend you are presented with a blanks screen or a screen saver; you have to move the mouse to show an XScreenSaver password dialog, and enter the password.

Furthermore, I don't want to uninstall xscreensaver because the choice of locking should be based on the user account.

Are there any newer suggestions?

Last edited by DArseneau (2011-09-19 00:25:07)

Board footer