Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-13 14:57:57

Snood

Looking for reasonably secure means of mounting Windows shares.

Hi,

I'm new to Xfce (on Debian lenny) and relatively new (half year) to Linux, and am enjoying the desktop environment immensely. I'm gradually getting used to doing a few things differently, and I haven't found any of the adjustments to be onerous.

I want to be able to mount remote Windows shares on various networks to which I attach my laptop. I've seen and tried the various methods of using Thunar for browsing networks, but I'm loathe to place user names and passwords for shares in plain text files, and I don't really need network browsing anyway. If I don't know where I'm going, then I really shouldn't be going there on somebody else's network. At least that's my take on it. These networks I connect to are either maintained by me or are places where I've been invited to consult. I don't need to browse my own networks because I know exactly how they're built and have other ways of knowing the structure, and I want to be a good citizen on the networks where I'm a guest -- meaning I don't want to put my credentials for these places in plain text, even though I'm careful with the laptop.

So, could someone suggest a minimal installation (I'm supposing smbfs and use of the mount command or some such) so that I can mount Windows shares on the fly from the command line? I have no smb stuff on my laptop, so I can start with a clean slate and do this in a very minimalist way. I'd prefer not to install any additional services on the system, though I'll keep an open mind about that.

Many thanks to any old hands at this who can show a newcomer a good, basic way to handle this. I know I could experiment (and will do so later on), but I'd prefer not to make a false start. Simple and safe for now, fancy for later.

#2 2009-05-14 09:44:22

El_Angelo

Re: Looking for reasonably secure means of mounting Windows shares.

#3 2009-05-14 13:52:35

Snood

Re: Looking for reasonably secure means of mounting Windows shares.

Aw, thanks, El_Angelo! That looks like it's going to be almost too easy. Looks like it's secure and avoids doing the questionable (to me, at least) things that I wanted to avoid!

Regards,
Sam

Board footer