Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-28 12:46:21

FrancisT

Dual Monitor Glitches / Awareness in XFCE settings manager applets

I've found a few oddities in Dual monitor support. Some of these I realize may not be easily fixable.

(FWIW All this is while running Xubuntu 9.04.)

1) Starting up with a second monitor results in the same output showing up on both monitors. I would have hoped that if I logged out/shut down with the monitors in side by side config then when I logged in they would be in that mode too (and remembering their screen resoution and position).

1a) It also seems to me that the startup (after login) is SLOWER when the 2nd monitor is added. But I could be wrong on this.

2) Even when I start up with 2 monitors the "Display" applet only seems to be aware of ONE monitor. The Panel Applet and the Desktop Applet do seem to be aware.

3) I can't find a way using XFCE to change the monitor displays so that the desktop is extended over the two monitors instead of echoed. (Xrandr works fine though).

4) When I start up with just one  screen (the laptop) and plug in the second monitor nothing in XFCE seems to know about it automatically even though xrandr -q is well aware of what has been added

5) When I use xrandr  to extend my desktop onto the new monitor only the Desktop applet seems to be aware that two monitors are present. Neither Display nor Panel are aware of the second monitor. This means no way to change resolution or to have a panel on the 2nd screen.

I suspect that all these issues are somehow related and that there are a couple of settings somewhere in X and/or XFCE that need to be properly set, saved or exported. However I have no idea how to troubleshoot the system to figure out what settings are missing. If anyone can tell me what I need to change I'll be happy to hack a script to customize stuff, but I don't have a clue how to start right now.

PS Problem 6) The gnome-display-properties program which I ran following advice somewhere here only partly works. Firstly it always reports these errors at start up:

(gnome-display-properties:31825): Gtk-WARNING **: Ignoring the separator setting

(gnome-display-properties:31825): libglade-WARNING **: could not find a parent that handles internal children for `vbox'

Secondly when I try to use it to change resolution (as opposed to just switching from mirrored to extended) I get the following error dialog:

Method "ApplyConfiguration" with signature "" on interface "org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.XRANDR" doesn't exist

#2 2009-06-21 03:56:06

infinitelink

Re: Dual Monitor Glitches / Awareness in XFCE settings manager applets

Hi there, I get the same issues; though I don't know how to use Xrandr or anything, and I went immediately to the install gnome-control-panel and use its Display options solution, which gave me,

Method "ApplyConfiguration" with signature "" on interface "org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.XRANDR" doesn't exist

when I tried to apply settings without telling it to Mirror. : ( Somebody, please...is there anybody out there? Is there anybody out there that's going to actually try tackling the plumbing of Linux? Seriously?

Board footer