Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-15 23:29:07

sterd

non root user cannot start xfdesktop... no desktop icons or background... 4.6.1

Just curious if anyone here has see this particular issue after upgrading to 4.6.1... from 4.4.whatever.

Before the upgrade, everything worked great, after the upgrade however, if I log on as anyone other then root (when I log on as root, everything works perfect), I have no desktop icons or desktop background pic and the right click functionality (on the desktop that is)... when I try and start xfdesktop manually (as root, but not in root profile), I get the following:

** (xfdesktop:7703): WARNING **: xfdesktop: unable to connect to settings daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken..  Defaults will be used

** (xfdesktop:7703): CRITICAL **: xfce_desktop_new: assertion `channel && property_prefix' failed

(xfdesktop:7703): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_add_events: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfdesktop:7703): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(xfdesktop:7703): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(xfdesktop:7703): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(xfdesktop:7703): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_show: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
Segmentation fault

Any help would be much apprecated!

#2 2009-06-16 04:15:10

sterd

Re: non root user cannot start xfdesktop... no desktop icons or background... 4.6.1

I forgot to mention, I am using XFCE on Gentoo... Not that that makes any difference... just an FYI...

This issue sounds, on the surface, like a rights issue... The fact that when I log on as root, everything works great... the issue I am having, as said above, only happens when logging on as users other then root...

What do you masters think?

#3 2009-06-16 04:56:51

s0ulslack

Re: non root user cannot start xfdesktop... no desktop icons or background... 4.6.1

Just sounds like xfdesktop isn't saved in the users Session, for whatever reason.  Try starting it _as the user_ that started X, ALT+F2-> xfdesktop and save the session on logout

#4 2009-06-16 15:10:06

sterd

Oh, what a young padawan I am... you are awesome s0ulslack! That was it. I guess I don't know as much of the internal workings of XFCE as I need to...

Problem SOLVED!

Thanks again.

Board footer