Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-03 22:36:51

user1313

Disable trash again and again

Hello.
There should be an option to disable trash function. I have one mounted samba share from localhost. And it (Thunar) is duplicating the damn files. First, i must wait for "Moving to Trash" dialog to complete. And then it is storing files through "recycle" function of samba. Removal of the latter (recycle) or accessing the share directly is not an option because we are using it for virus-checking by scannedonly in whole network.

It should not be the default, but many people DO WAIT for such implementation.
Regards.
user1313

#2 2009-07-04 06:06:32

Pindakoe

Re: Disable trash again and again

Interesting question which I cannot answer. The only work around I can offer is to use shift-delete when removing files from that share. Shift-del will not move to trash but bypass the trash and delete files the olf-fashioned way. The down-side is that this is non-obvious, and you will ultimately do a shift-del on something not on that share.

You could also disable the trash functionality for that Samba share, but would still be stuck with Thunar moving files to its own trash which is in ~/.local/share/Trash/.

#3 2009-07-06 07:07:17

El_Angelo

forget it. will not be implemented.

use SHIFT + DEL

#4 2009-07-06 16:46:05

Pindakoe

and why not El_angelo?
The answer suggests so much conviction that there must be background to be shared (in which I am interested).

#5 2009-07-07 08:03:13

El_Angelo

search the mailinglist... you'll find your answer

#6 2009-07-07 08:25:06

user1313

> will not be implemented.

it is definitely NOT the Linux way...
And for the answer, why can't you post it here? I couldn't find one myself.

#7 2011-07-17 16:19:03

trashtalk

It old but I got here looking for the same thing.

Shift delete only works if I'm deleting something, not when a bunch of programs choose trash as the default place to put things I want deleted. When I use baobab to find large files I want to delete from one partition, sticking it in the /home partition by default is brain dead.

Since I'm happy to live with the consequences of an oops moment (how else do you learn) I've replaced ~/.local/share/Trash/files with a symlink to /dev/null.

# cd ~/.local/share/Trash
# rm -rf files
# ln -s /dev/null files

The attitude of "can fix, won't fix, feature not a bug, read the mailing list" to this smells a bit.

#8 2012-05-10 18:04:53

DeleteTrash

This is just idiotic and a deal breaker for me. If i wanted to keep my trash i would still be using windows. I tried the symlink to /dev/null and got the error that it wasnt a directory. Way to screw up an otherwise perfectly usable desktop environment.

#9 2012-07-26 10:10:53

ssokolow

On my desktop, I just use LXDE with the less stable but lighter, tabbed, more featureful PCManFM but, on my OpenPandora where I'm not yet comfortable customizing the root partition's contents, this was actually tricking me into placing excess wear on the soldered-in flash chip it uses for the root partition. (I'd frequently forgot to do the "Select, release shift to right-click, hold Shift to left-click Delete" dance.)

If that isn't justification enough to have a checkbox, I think the devs should be condemned to guessing modelines on pre-EDID CRTs until they learn the difference between harmless obsessions like GNOME's "cult of the simple" and ones that would probably be legally actionable if they weren't hiding behind the GPL's self-indemnification clause.

My solution was to edit fstab to make $XDG_DATA_HOME/Trash into a tmpfs. (That'd be $HOME/.local/share/Trash on machines which leave XDG_DATA_HOME unmodified)

Not ideal, but at least it ensures I'm not wearing out my non-removable flash and that deleted files will die on shutdown if I don't empty trash. On a cron-enabled, high-uptime desktop, I'd probably rm -rf the Trash hourly as a cronjob.

In the long term, I'll probably look into making desktop icons launch something else.

Last edited by ssokolow (2012-07-26 10:12:36)

Board footer