Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-07 20:42:30

Snood

Xfce4 goodies / weather applet [SOLVED]

The weather applet stopped working today on both Linux boxes at work. Went home, same thing at home. It gets its data from xoam.weather.com. I went there. The site is up, and I didn't see any notices posted about a malfunction in the server.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Yeah, in the overall scheme of things, not a biggie. But I love my little weather app. I spend lots of hours in my dungeon-like office cut off from contact with the outside world. The applet helps me feel in tune with my environment.

;D

Added information for Debian stable users in last post.

#2 2009-07-07 20:47:26

s0ulslack

Re: Xfce4 goodies / weather applet [SOLVED]

Working ok here, the author just updated the plugin a couple versions ago to fully support and use the weather.com shiz.  Make sure you have the latest version, http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- … her-plugin

#3 2009-07-08 00:28:38

Snood

Hmmm. I've got 0.6.2-1 from the Lenny repositories. That version doesn't seem to be listed on the official goodies site. I'm running Xfce 4.4, also from the standard Lenny repositories. The goodies site lists 0.6.1 as the latest version for Xfce 4.4 and 0.6.3 as the earliest version for Xfce 4.6. Weird.

This version has been working fine until today. There have been no updates to the system, and no changes in installed software.

#4 2009-07-08 05:53:48

markor

Weather applet is not working for a couple of days here, too.
I am using 64-bit Xubuntu Hardy/8.04 LTS.

From my perspective, I have latest version in the LTS.
It is truly amazingly short-sighted making some remote change that would
disable plug-in that is in production use in multiple supported distributions.

As weather plug-ins are just not a priority for distribution maintainers,
i suppose all weather plugins in all distributions (except with newest plugin)
stopped working, and that is ... good thing??

#5 2009-07-08 13:38:16

Snood

I'm not sure what might have caused the problem. Last changes (including any updates) applied to the system software on these four boxes happened on 07/01. The Xfc4 weather plugins / applets continued working until yesterday (07/07), then they all just stopped updating simultaneously.

Based on the scant evidence I have I'd say that some change happened at the data source. (I suppose that's what you meant by "remote change".) If that's the case, I guess the newer version of the plug-in might fix it, but these are admin boxes. If these were only personal use machines I would try it, but I'm not about to install stuff from outside the standard Lenny repositories on these systems just so I can have a weather applet. I'll bite the bullet and go look at a weather site in the browser instead.

#6 2009-07-08 15:12:29

brain)(vision
Website

Hello everybody..

I'm writing here because I'm having some problems with the weather panel plugin, too.
First of all I'm using a slackware 12.2; the weather plugin version that I use is 0.7.0.. I'm reading here that most people updated the plugin with 0.6.4 version, but isn't this one just old? I'm the only one how foun the 0.7.0's? I've downloaded it from here: http://goodies.xfce.org/releases/xfce4-weather-plugin/

And now, my problem: the plugin works for a little bit, then if there's a screensaver, or if I loose my wireless connection, or if something that I'm not able to well understand happens, it stops to works! I've tried to update the forecast, to change city.. nothings works but delete the plugin and create a new one!

Someone noticed the same problems? Is there someone who can explain better what's going on?

Thank you very much (and forgive my english!)..

leonardo
-linux user #483530
-registered machine 403135 --> hal9002
-registered machine 394211 --> hal9001

#7 2009-07-16 04:16:56

sune

Same problem with xfce4-weather-plugin (0.6.2-1ubuntu2) on my xubuntu 9.04 (x64). Suddenly it stopped working - seems that i happened after some (apparently unrelated) system updates some days ago but it may have nothing to do with it.

/Sune

#8 2009-07-16 05:33:15

s0ulslack

Install the latest version of the Weather plugin, there was a API change or something.

#9 2009-09-05 15:59:40

Snood

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought I would add some information that might be useful to a small subset of users.

Debian stable (Lenny) just underwent a point release today. Included in the update today was a updated version of the xfce4-weather-plugin, which uses "the weather.com API key so that results are returned again".

For anyone like me who uses Debian stable on systesm that, for whatever reason, aren't allowed to get any updates except from the stock standard repositories, it's now fixed.

Board footer