Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-12 00:38:48

randomidiot

Creating desktop icons of my choice but removing the default desktop icons

Forgive a possibly strange question especially if it turns out to be a stupid one but here goes:  I want to have three icons on my desktop (firefox, gcompris, and OO Writer) for the less technically gifted people in my home but I do NOT want the trash, home and other default icons on my desktop.  With 2008.1 Mandriva XFCE I could remove the default icons by creating a /.config/xfce4/desktop/xfdesktoprc file in my home directory to make these icons disappear but this file seems to be ignored in this new version (Mandriva 2009.0 XFCE).  It seems that giving me the choice in the desktop settings dialogue to hide these icons left me with no way to customize it as I described above.  Is this correct and is it a bug or intentional?  If I can't customize it as described, then I'll just have to train my monkeys to use the panel.  The 4 year old should be ok but the senior citizen vigorously resists change.  Seriously. Any ideas?  Thanks.

#2 2009-07-12 00:44:47

sofar

Re: Creating desktop icons of my choice but removing the default desktop icons

use the desktop settings to hide the default icons. add new ones for programs you need.

--
espresso's (xfce.org) system admin and BOFH

#3 2009-07-12 15:51:07

randomidiot

Either I truly am missing something or you've misunderstood.  It appears to be all or nothing. I can't uncheck the default icons or I can't find the right place to do so.  All I see is desktop settings where I can choose the following: no icons, minimized apps OR all launcher icons. Choosing none means mine don't show up either - none do.  Choosing all means all icons are there.  Creating my own xfdesktoprc file no longer works as it did in 2008.1 Mandriva XFCE.   So if you have a specific place to uncheck these default icons and make them disappear while retaining my chosen ones, please elaborate.  Thanks again..

#4 2009-07-12 21:08:42

s0ulslack

Settings-> Desktop-> Icons  - You should have a Default Icons section where you can choose which Icons are shown on the desktop

#5 2009-07-14 01:15:48

randomidiot

I should but I do not. I only have a choice between none, minimized apps and the full slate.  Funny thing is that I've seen the screen you all are referring to but it is no longer here.  Oh and I've gone back to 2008.1 Mandriva XFCE because of some other annoyances with the 2009 version.  Same problem although I have managed to make three of the four default icons disappear by creating the .config file referred to in my original post.  The floppy drive icon refuses to go away and strangely by creating links to my three preferred apps, I am also stuck with the shortcuts I created.  I would attach a screenshot but I apparently need to join Flickr or something in order to do so.  Anyway, it's all very strange, and I'm still thinking panels are the way to go. Thanks for the replies.

Board footer