Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-21 10:29:20

diilbert

Power Management Recommendation

I am using 4.4.2 on Debian 5.0 and was wondering if there is a recommended Power Management utility.  I just recently installed on my Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607 and my battery does not live nearly as long as Windows.

If there is nothing besides gnome-power-manager, what is the standard practice for power management in xfce4?  My first issue is suspend, I would like the laptop to enter suspend mode when I close the lid.  Right now I have a panel button linking to a script that does "sudo pm-suspend".  This is a little sloppy considering some users on my laptop will forget to "activate suspend" and kill the battery.  The second most important thing I would like to do is dim the screen when on battery.

I now there is xfce4-power-manager package, but this is only available in the unstable and testing Debian repositories.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 2009-07-21 11:04:19

s0ulslack

Re: Power Management Recommendation

Just because your distro is slow at moving packages out of testing doesn't mean they're actually unstable/un-useable.  Xfce Power Manager works great and is the most complete solution thats native to Xfce atm.  You'll also want to upgrade to 4.6, it has native suspend/hibernation support too.

Board footer