Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-18 11:50:34

zainka

[solved] Notification windows not rendered correctly

Hi

Me and a few others running Xubuntu 9.10 have got into trouble.

Problem is that after upgrading to xubuntu 9.10 from previous 9.04 version the notofication windows has become unreadable. This apply even if upgrade was done through normal update manager or if 9.10 was installed from scratch. The same HW did not have these problems when running xubuntu 9.04.

The problem appears when a notification is aboute to be given, like nettwork connected, or when programs is giving a notification / using the notification daemon, like if opening the system monitor. No error message is ever given, and you may, by knowledge of where the buttons in a given program are (like close (X)) click and get the expected responce.

Version 9.10 of Xubuntu is believed to be using version 4.6 of Xfce.

To avoid repeating myself you may find aditional infomation in other forums I have raised the same problem in. Up today we have not revealed any solutions that help fixing all problems. you can follow our struggles here and also see some screen shots.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … ost8309129
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/474134

Breg
Vidar

#2 2009-11-18 15:21:38

Wapush

Re: [solved] Notification windows not rendered correctly

Hi and welcome.

Since Xubuntu maintainers have decided to use notify-osd, a notification daemon developed by Canonical for Ubuntu-GNOME, this should be discussed on the Ubuntu forum, Launchpad or the xubuntu-users and xubuntu-devel mailing lists.

As I saw on the Ubuntu forum, you have resolved your problem by installing the Xfce notification daemon (xfce4-notifyd) so, thank you for the information, it should help other Xubuntu users to find what to do and where to go if they encounter the same bug.

#3 2009-11-18 20:32:36

zainka

Hi and thanks for your reply, But I am afraid the problem is NOT solved since xfce4-notifyd only partial helped me out. The system monitor and other program popups as those given when installing Eagle and other packages for sure still remains the same i am afraid.
Also, I do not understand if the notify daemon is used when system monitor is called or not, or if it is some other daemon that is used by the system monitor.

But thanks for the info of which daemon is used in xubuntu.

However, you are right in one thing, This forum might not be the right one as I do no longer beleive this is related to xfce in xubuntu as I got the same problem after installing gnome desktop. Anyway, if anyone have a faint clue of what is wrong do not hesitate to comment it in Ubuntu forum. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … ost8309129

Thanks in advance

Breg
Vidar

#4 2009-11-18 22:59:59

Wapush

zainka wrote:

Hi and thanks for your reply, But I am afraid the problem is NOT solved since xfce4-notifyd only partial helped me out. The system monitor and other program popups as those given when installing Eagle and other packages for sure still remains the same i am afraid.

I misread again... :oops:

Since I don't remember my username and password on the Ubuntu forum, , I'll ask here:

Have you noticed if this happens only with the default theme of Xubuntu 9.10, Albatross, or if this also happens with others like their old one, MurrinaStormCloud?

I ask because their new theme, as the old one, uses the murrine engine but unlike MurrinaStormCloud, Albatross has the support of the RGBA transparency enabled by default.

#5 2009-11-19 09:57:38

zainka

Hi

I have tried several themes, including the MurrinaStormCloud theme and several others, but I was not aware of the diference in how transparency was suported by deault or not. Therefor I have done some more tests with the themes and noticed that according to which  theme currently in use the output on the "unreadable windows" changed in pattern and color (hopless unreadable still, though) according to themes default colors. I was preffering the microgui. I tried several combinations for theme and apperance style with no luck

In apperance menu I also can do changes for the sub-pixel order rendereing under font tab but this should as I understand only affect fonts. Anyway, It did not solve the problem (I had to try...)

However. I got a reply and input on the ubuntu thread mentioning xorg.conf settings. I also tried to reinstall xorg driver following this tutorial (earlier I tried ) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooti … %20scratch  With no success, I still have these artifacts seen on system monitor and other windows.

However. I did after this, dont think it is related though, a change in the apperance settings I havn't tried before, namly "enabling display compositing" under Compositor tab. This had dramaticaly effect, making entire screen turn unreadable. Lucky me, my mouse was still howering over the checkbox and I could thus turn it of by a simple click having my screen back as normal. puuh!

I though of looking into logs in /var/logs but do not know what to look for, so that seems a little ambigous. Any hint?

Also I get the following terminal output when installing eagle.

nnn@nnn:~$ sudo ./Downloads/eagle-lin-5.6.0.run
[sudo] password for nnn:
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Extension:    149 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode: 4 (RenderCreatePicture)
  Resource id:  0x26

After this output the installation window opens up, unreadable.

#6 2009-11-19 17:22:47

Wapush

There is another thread on the Ubuntu forum talking about the same problem as yours:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … ost8330252

#7 2009-11-19 20:38:38

zainka

Hi, Greate this solved it.
I had to create xorg.conf and add a Device section etc. to turn off render accellerator.

Thanks for your guidance

Breg
Vidar

Board footer