Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-07 16:24:19

brain)(vision
Website

Real Icons Customization on xfce panel

Hi everybody again.. smile

I noticed this problem a lot of time ago and so did you, I think, because it is very evident.. I'm talking of the icons of the xfce panels..
when we download a theme from www.gnome-look.org we always discover that the final result on our xfce desktop is quite distant from the original posted screenshot.. many icons are different: the network manager (as I'm using Wicd, for example), the volume, the clipboard application and so on, depending on the number of applications we host in our panels!
generally, 'till now, I didn't care so much these kinds of issues but now I would like to make all my icons in a B/W style, stigmatized!, and so you could easy understand that the littlest difference between two or more icons would results in a terrible theme!!

The only way to make all these icons the same is changing them directly in the directories under

/usr/share/pixmap

so, for example: I want to change the mixer icon appearance and I will substitute the icons on

/usr/share/xfce4-mixer/icons/hicolor

directory with the mine ones!

Another example: for Wicd icons, I'll go on

/usr/share/wicd

and I'll do the same work!

What do you think about that? I feel a little bit fool to do this, but it's the only solution, today!, isn't it??

Thank you for paying attention., see you soon!!
big_smile big_smile

leonardo
-linux user #483530
-registered machine 403135 --> hal9002
-registered machine 394211 --> hal9001

#2 2010-05-08 02:13:52

etnlWings

Re: Real Icons Customization on xfce panel

The mixer icons go in the status directory of the icon theme, depending upon the layout of the theme index file.

#3 2010-05-08 10:08:44

brain)(vision
Website

etnlWings wrote:

The mixer icons go in the status directory of the icon theme, depending upon the layout of the theme index file.

mmm.. maybe i wasn't able to explain myself.. I'll take 2 screenshots to let you see that I'm telling the truth.. smile
this is my notification area..
notificationacyl.png
and this is the status directory of the icon theme I'm actually using.. it's called Any Color You Like..
statusfolderacyl.png

and finally in theme.index file there..

[Icon Theme]
Name=AnyColorYouLike
Comment= Simple icon theme that you can change color on.

Directories=scalable/actions,scalable/apps,scalable/categories,scalable/devices,scalable/emblems,scalable/mimetypes,scalable/places,scalable/status,scalable/stock

[b][...][/b]

[scalable/status]
Size=48
MinSize=8
MaxSize=256
Context=Status
Type=Scalable

leonardo
-linux user #483530

#4 2010-05-08 11:06:05

etnlWings

audio-volume-* hasn't been used as the naming convention since Xfce 4.6. Notice that the system icons you are changing, are named in a completely different manner (plus there's more of them). audio-volume-* is still used by gnome-panel and by GtkVolButtons but not by xfce4-panel's xfce4-mixer plugin.

mixera.jpg

Edit: Forum shrinks screenshots beyond the point of readability. Either right-click and view the image, or just click here:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4248/mixera.jpg

#5 2010-05-08 11:30:47

brain)(vision
Website

OK etnlWings

now it's really really much more clear!, thank you very much for your help!! big_smile

but what about the weather's icons and the Wicd's ones? there's a guide to the icons naming specifications you talked here?
for what I understood 'till now, the problem is the diufferent icons names between gnome and xfce, isn't it?

leonardo
-linux user #483530

#6 2010-05-08 11:40:52

etnlWings

I have no idea. My Xfce install is somewhat out of date and I don't have that plugin itstalled, so try apt-file list xfce4-weather-plugin (or your package manager's equivalent), for hints. Check the panel plugin's preferences for it's own theme handling and the package's man page.

Just looking, Eikon's status/32/ directory contains a number of weather-* and stock_weather-* icons.

$ ls .icons/Eikon/scalable/status/32/ | grep -i weather
stock_weather-cloudy.png
stock_weather-few-clouds.png
stock_weather-fog.png
stock_weather-night-clear.png
stock_weather-night-few-clouds.png
stock_weather-showers.png
stock_weather-snow.png
stock_weather-storm.png
stock_weather-sunny.png
weather-clear-night.png
weather-clear.png
weather-few-clouds-night.png
weather-few-clouds.png
weather-fog.png
weather-overcast.png
weather-showers.png
weather-snow.png
weather-storm.png

Neither of these work?

#7 2010-05-30 10:33:55

Punk_Nadel

brain)(vision wrote:

but what about the weather's icons

The path to that icons is hardcoded in the plugin.
If you are able to patch and compile source files: I wrote a patch which changes this. Even if I think you had a look at it before, here it is: http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6464 smile

The xfce4-dict (plugin) is even more hardcoded. not only the path to the icon is in the source, the full icon is! I tried to change this but my C skills are very poor so I didn't get it working. -.-

and the Wicd's ones?

Wicd seems to be written in python, so you need a python dev for that. I don't use it (and don't want to install all it's dependencies just for tests)

there's a guide to the icons naming specifications you talked here?

http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-n … atest.html - But it's from freedesktop and even if xfce says they want to be freedesktop conform they are not. ^^

for what I understood 'till now, the problem is the diufferent icons names between gnome and xfce, isn't it?

Yes and no.
It's the different icon names between different (gnome and xfce) programs

[img]http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/certificate.cgi/506718[/img]

#8 2010-05-30 18:48:13

brain)(vision
Website

hi Punk Nadel,
nice to see you here, too! big_smile

Thank you very much for your reply: I'll try to clear as you in my answer..

1. I still didn't know your patch for weather's plugin, I'll give it a try cause compiling is not a problem, for me, even if it would be much more better to build the slackware package I need to install it in my slackware 13.1; but it's a work that I can do (you know, it's always better to have a package!)
2. speaking of wicd, I don't know what DE and what distro do you use, but it needs only standard dependencies, no others than GTK (yes, it's obvious) and python!
Anyway it's not necessary that you install it cause I found the way to substitute its icons (no other way that doing it by /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd )
3. I still knew the freedesktop icon naming specification!, maybe I've been not so clear asking anout this.. I mean if there is a similar guide for the xfce way to name its icons, but as you say, the problem is not xfce but programs itself (and this answer also to point 4)..

Thank you very much everybody! Now I know something more than before! big_smile

leonardo
-linux user #483530

Board footer