Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-20 15:00:49

teak

changeing the default file manager

hi there...

i have installed kubuntu with the xubuntu desktop...

i want to use dolphin as the default file manager mainly because thunar doesnt allow me to mount internal partitions from the side pane...

i have searched countless forums on this with no solution...

the solution proposed in http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=4023.0 doesnt help as im using xfce4.6 and there isnt an option in the settings manager to 'allow xfce to manage the desktop', or not...

im sure a solution to this could be beneficial to alot of people as every body has different preferences to a file manager...
thanks

teak

#2 2010-07-21 17:04:02

etnlWings

Re: changeing the default file manager

If you're referring to xfdesktop's icons always launching thunar, take a look at my advice for the98

That will also work for you, just alter the exec= lines of the icons you want, so they launch dolphin <path>, instead of thunar <path>.

#3 2010-07-23 13:03:44

teak

ah... thanks for the reply etnlWings...

it works great for the filesystem and home folders but what about any other folders on the desktop and removable devices?
also for the trash, you cant put anything in there as trash, as when you do it executes the command to open dolphin and not move it to the trash...

very close though... are there any xfce configuration files to look at for this?

thanks again...

teak

#4 2010-07-23 15:18:05

etnlWings

I can't think of any DnD solution to the Trash issue. I personally just like to pretend DnD doesn't exist but the only workaround I can think of, is using the xfce4-panel trash plugin on a panel. It might also be worth looking at the manpage for Dolphin, to see if there's any arguments you can pass, to alter it's behaviour.

#5 2010-07-23 21:44:58

teak

thanks etnlWings...

thats ok i could probably live with out the trash on the desktop... my main thing then would be other desktop item like removable devices and folders...

maybe there are some configuration file for xfce that handle things like this?

but at least i can have my home directory and filesystem open dolphin [i just edited the icons i created for kde as i use kde sometimes as well]...

thanks for the tip...

teak

#6 2010-07-24 05:52:06

etnlWings

No, I'm relatively certain there's no such configuration option. You're probably best off just using Dolphin's sidebar.

#7 2010-07-24 13:46:01

the98

What about Xfce-mount-plugin... It's a plugin that goes in the xfpanel, asnd it lets you umount and mount all the partitons and devices defined in /etc/fstab...

Board footer