Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-04 20:02:15

Pontorez
Website

Control ALSA volume via custom hot keys

Hello, I'm a former Gnome user. In Gnome, I was able to configure the environment to inc/decrease volume via hotkeys like Shift+F11/Shift+F12 or so.

1). Is it possible to setup such bindings in Xfce?

2). Also, in Gnome, every time I pressed S+F11/F12, a nice big icon of a speaker appeared above all windows in the center of the screen for a couple of seconds. There also was current volume indicator besides the icon...It was very convenient to see current volume.
Is it possible to configure Xfce (Xorg?) to display something like this popup icon or at least current volume indicator?

Many thanks

#2 2010-09-05 00:17:12

gnome_refugee

Re: Control ALSA volume via custom hot keys

Hi, Pontorez.

(1) Keyboard sound control with multimedia keys is done with xfce4-volumed, which is installed as part of the Xfce package. See
https://launchpad.net/xfce4-volumed

(2) The default ALSA volume control in Xfce comes up with the command xfce4-mixer. It's accessed through the menus as Applications/Multimedia/Mixer. It's a window with a graphical slider for volume control, much like the Gnome ALSA mixer.

To bind this window to the keyboard, just go to Applications/Settings/Keyboard to get to the keyboard settings. On the Application Shortcuts tab, choose Add. The command is xfce4-mixer, then just choose whatever key combo you want to bring up the dialog (eg shift+F12).

Hope this helps.

Board footer