Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-11 23:27:07

bbfuller

Thunar and Session Restore

I'd like to make XFCE my main desktop, but I'm having a problem with one aspect.

I regularly run with eight desktops with a selection of applications on six of those.

I like to shut down and have those applications restored on restart.

In both Fedora and Arch, if I have several instances of Thunar open on various desktops when I shut down, I only have one instance when I restart and that is always on desktop one.

I assumed this was a problem with XFCE until I installed Mint recently. In that I find however many instances of Thunar I have open, they are restored correctly both in number and location on restart.

My question is, is this behaviour something that the developers of the various distributions set at the time of compilation, or is it something that can be modified by an ordinary user after the install?

If it's the latter, I'd be very pleased to know where the setting is.

#2 2010-10-12 06:17:32

gnome_refugee

Re: Thunar and Session Restore

"I'd like to make XFCE my main desktop, but I'm having a problem with one aspect."

Your main desktop in Fedora and Arch? You'd rather not use Mint?

#3 2010-10-12 08:35:19

bbfuller

That is so.

I've been using Fedora for about six years now, before that I used PCLOS for two and SuSE for three and a bit. I've a lot of time invested in doing things the Fedora way and although I have a few other distributions around to play with my preference would be to run XFCE on Fedora. If only I could find out why it treats Thunar in such an ungrateful way.

When it comes down to it though, it's little things that make or break an attitude to a any Linux distribution.

As far a Mint goes, the "fortune cookies" in the terminal window make me grind my teeth each time I see them and I happen to like doing things in that terminal with 'su' rather than 'sudo'.

Just a personal preference and I'm not trying to say one way is better than the other.

#4 2010-10-12 10:28:03

gnome_refugee

Fair enough. I guess I'm more tolerant of the little defects in every distro!

Session saving: I've never used Fedora or Arch. In Mint your session details are saved to /home/[you]/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-[you]-desktop:0 But where the instruction for this is put, I don't know.

Stupid fortune cookies: agreed, totally dumb, but easily stopped. As superuser edit /etc/bash.bashrc to comment out the fortunes lines, like so:

#/usr/bin/mint-fortune (Mint8)

#if [ ! -f ~/.disable-mint-fortunes ]; then
#    /usr/bin/mint-fortune
#fi (Mint9)

Board footer