Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-18 15:16:03

TiZ

Xfce4-panel 4.8 problems after upgrade

Hi. I upgraded to Xfce 4.8 last night, and am kicking myself for not having gotten involved in testing. It created some problems, mostly in xfce4-panel. For one of them I'll just need to file a bug against xfwm4, but maybe the others can simply be resolved with some Q&A.

1. I thought that plugins for panel 4.6 were supposed to work in 4.8? They're not. Places, weather, etc... they all just repeatedly crash when they are loaded. And I don't know if it's a build option thing for my distro, but plugins located in /usr/local aren't even being detected anymore. Is there anything I can do about all of this?

2. Most of my Xfce panel theming work has been trashed. I used the eXperience engine and found that the classpaths have changed, but updating them seems to do no good at all. I've still got little buttons on my panel, and I can't knock out the bottom border with x/ythickness=0 anymore. What do I need to do to get my theme tweaks working again? The gtkrc dealing with the panel is here, along with my attempts to fix it: http://pastebin.com/Jt3iMCFz EDIT: Upon adding other panel plugins, I found out the only one with a tiny icon was the menu button that got carried over; upon adding a new one using a themed icon, it looked just right, and I was able to knock out that bottom border by setting a panel background.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by TiZ (2011-01-18 15:39:18)

#2 2011-01-18 19:36:43

daSnoop

Re: Xfce4-panel 4.8 problems after upgrade

can only say something to point 1:
i dont know wich distro u r using. i use gentoo. some plugins worked diretcly after the update, some had to be re emerged. i think if u use allready compiled plugins they maybe have to be compiled again from the author. if u use plugins from wich u got the source just try to compile them by yourself against the new xfce.

#3 2011-01-18 23:38:48

Nick
Dev
Website

All external plugins need to recompile to properly use the 4.8 framework. The weather plugin does not support rgba windows (composite), so therefore it crashes, being worked on for the next weather plugin release. For the places plugin I have no idea what is broken.

Plugin also need to be installed in the same prefix as the panel, this has to do with distros that mix 64 and 32 bit binaries, but maybe I'll loosen this a bit.

#4 2011-01-19 03:28:42

Ion Silverbolt

I managed to get all the plugins working except for the weather applet. If you're looking for a temporary solution, the xfapplet plugin still works and you can use the gnome weather applet.

#5 2011-01-24 16:38:05

etnlWings

Nick wrote:

For the places plugin I have no idea what is broken.

It wouldn't just be the move away from HAL? Looking at GIT, it doesn't appear that any major work has gone into the places plugin for a while; long before the thunar gfs rewrite. Is it being actively maintained, or is it on life support?

#6 2011-01-25 10:57:39

Nick
Dev
Website

No idea, but it will soonish get some love because xubuntu uses it in the default panel setup, so someone will step up.

Board footer