Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-20 11:45:11

sakrayaami

Upgrating from XFCE 4.4.2 to XFCE 4.8 Debian Lenny

Hello,
first of all i want to thank everyone from the XFCE team for the great product! I am using XFCE for 1 month on my virtual machine with 512 ram and i still can't believe how good it is working. As the title says i want to upgrade from XFCE 4.4.2 running on Debian Lenny to XFCE 4.8. Can you give me some advise how to do this?
Thank you.

#2 2011-01-23 17:10:55

mmassonnet
Website

Re: Upgrating from XFCE 4.4.2 to XFCE 4.8 Debian Lenny

Get in touch with the Debian Xfce Group folk.

If you find out, and nobody answered yet, please give your solution here smile

Mike

#3 2011-01-25 20:09:53

Hezy
Website

I don't know if there will ever be Xfce 4.8 packages for Lenny, unless you compile them yourself. Also, Xfce people are saying that before installing 4.8 you must completely remove older versions. So it seems to me that you might just as well start over with a new version of Debian on your virtual machine. Debian Squeeze is due to be released next week. Only some time after the release Xfce 4.8 will be in the testing repositories. I would suggest waiting for a few weeks, then install the new testing. If you prefer stable, install Squeeze without a desktop, add the testing repositories to your sources list, apt-get Xfce 4.8, then disable the testing repositories.

keep on rockin' in the free world

#4 2011-02-02 00:54:28

neilgunton

Hezy wrote:

I don't know if there will ever be Xfce 4.8 packages for Lenny, unless you compile them yourself.

I think this is correct. As I understand it, once a Debian release becames frozen for a release as "stable", the package versions will not change  - only security updates to the existing packages will appear from then on. So whatever version of a particular package was released with Lenny, that's what Lenny has forever (once it's frozen, and Lenny was frozen a couple of years ago). This is actually one of the nice things about Debian, you can be pretty confident that your install won't get broken by new and incompatible features on any 'stable' release. Testing (currently Squeeze) and Unstable (Sid) are a different story, of course, though I believe Squeeze froze recently, so presumably it's getting ready to be released as the new 'stable'.

That being said, there is a way to get packages from unstable into a stable release: It's called pinning. More here:

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

I've never actually tried doing this, and I would think you might run into problems with incompatible lib versions at some point, but it's worth a look at least. Check out other people's experiences, e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?q=installi … d+in+lenny

Debian Squeeze is due to be released next week.

Would you mind telling me where you heard this? I've been trying to find out when Squeeze is going to become stable, and can't seem to find any recent statements about it.

Thanks!

Neil

Last edited by neilgunton (2011-02-02 01:03:27)

#5 2011-03-21 17:09:45

factor-h

Debian version 6 come out a couple of weeks ago.

If you want 4.8 and not there (I guess it is not), a nice way to to install it is to start with another light environment... to avoid conflicts, and then install XFCE 4.8 over it. After working properly you may what to discard the previous temporary environment.

This advice comes from SALIX distro, if I'm not mistaken, better to go there and check. But note: This is a suggested path to a Slackware distro. It makes some sense to be useful to a Debian distro.

Anyone?

Board footer