Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-05 12:36:22

legolas558

USB mass storage icons [4.8]

Hello guys,

with the latest update I can no more see any icon of the partitons available on my USB mass storage devices.

I am an Arch Linux user and have dbus 1.4.1 daemon running, and I use this command to start my session from VT1:

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

These are the relevant XFCE packages:

xfwm4 4.8.1-1

libxfcegui4 4.8.0-1

thunar 1.2.1-1

thunar-volman 0.6.0-1

xfce4-mount-plugin 0.5.5-1

xfce4-panel 4.8.1-1

xfce4-session 4.8.0-1

xfdesktop 4.8.1-1

I have no HAL and no gvfs packages installed, neither I want to install them! Would it be possible to have back the icons for mass storage devices on my desktop and thunar windows?

Do I need to use some udev tuning or what? Also there is no more a trash icon.

Thanks

#2 2011-02-05 16:51:04

ssuominen

Re: USB mass storage icons [4.8]

- gvfs is required for Trash.
- gvfs is required with gnome-disk-utility support for removable drives etc.

so you can't avoid it.

Last edited by ssuominen (2011-02-05 16:52:03)

#3 2011-02-06 10:44:20

legolas558

ssuominen wrote:

so you can't avoid it.

Is this documented in CHANGELOG? I had not used gvfs and gnome-disk-utility previously, so maybe it is a new requirement?

#4 2011-02-06 13:38:29

ssuominen

legolas558 wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

so you can't avoid it.

Is this documented in CHANGELOG? I had not used gvfs and gnome-disk-utility previously, so maybe it is a new requirement?

Sure.

http://www.xfce.org/download/changelogs/4.8pre1

"File Manager (thunar):

* Replace ThunarVFS with GIO. All functionality previously based on ThunarVFS is now implemented on top of GIO and GVfs. This means that remote filesystems can be accessed via SFTP, FTP, SMB etc. For this as well as the trash feature GVfs is required. Thunar does not depend on it because GVfs is a set of GIO extensions and there is no guarantee for those to be available at runtime if they are installed at buildtime. This is left for distributions to set up properly."

Yes, it's a new requirement since 4.8.0.

#5 2011-02-06 13:44:57

legolas558

ssuominen wrote:
legolas558 wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

so you can't avoid it.

Sure.

http://www.xfce.org/download/changelogs/4.8pre1

"File Manager (thunar):

* Replace ThunarVFS with GIO. All functionality previously based on ThunarVFS is now implemented on top of GIO and GVfs. This means that remote filesystems can be accessed via SFTP, FTP, SMB etc. For this as well as the trash feature GVfs is required. Thunar does not depend on it because GVfs is a set of GIO extensions and there is no guarantee for those to be available at runtime if they are installed at buildtime. This is left for distributions to set up properly."

Yes, it's a new requirement since 4.8.0.

Great news smile Thanks for being so clear, I'll update some folks at Arch Linux about this

#6 2011-02-07 00:55:56

Nick
Dev
Website

In arch the optional dependency (wich you were notified when installating/updating thunar), is optional because you can use thunar without it. It will (well gio will) try to mount with the mount command, which probably doesn't work as a user and you don't have a trash and remote file systems, but for quick file editing it will still work.

Board footer