Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-26 00:45:35

SantaFe

Re: Make xfce better (my ideas)

Sideburns wrote:

Thank you.  I'm a tad amused to see that whoever wrote that doesn't seem to know that you don't need to create a file and then edit it; just open mousepad, put in what you want and use Save As to name it.

It made me wonder too.  Oh well it seems to work okay.  Glad it was helpful to you. wink

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

#27 2011-04-27 08:00:53

xf∞

Another idea. Its about Squeeze:
Please make integration with other programs. I need to use file-roler, because with squeeze I can't drag element, which I want to move at folder

#28 2011-05-09 22:27:33

Truemancocker

First, let me say that I think XFCE is great. Thanks to all the developers. I had been using GNOME2 up until recently. I've been using XFCE for about a month now.

My ideas:

*Make it possible to hide the side pane in thunar. The side pane is useful, but there are times when it's not needed, and it consumes a fair deal of screen space.

*Make it possible for thunar to remember the view setting (icon, detailed list, etc) for each folder. Someone said earlier that this is a bad idea, but I disagree. There are some folders where I favor icon view (picture folders), and some where I favor list view. I find it bothersome to have to switch between view modes as I switch between folders. Of course, it should be possible to turn this feature on and off since not everyone would want it.

*Make the desktop behave the same way as a normal thunar window. I like to use the desktop as an area for temporary files that I'm working on, and I've noticed that the desktop seems to behave slightly differently to normal thunar windows. It's a bit confusing.

*Make it easy to edit the program/application menu.

*Add options to the window manager/task list for tiling windows, like windows XP. For example, right click on the task list and select 'tile windows horizontally' and all the open windows are resized and moved accordingly. I'm currently using a script which does this, and I find it to be a useful feature.

Of course, maybe some or all of these ideas have already been implemented. I'm using a fairly old version (the one in the debian stable repositories)

Last edited by Truemancocker (2011-05-09 22:31:11)

#29 2011-05-10 07:03:34

xf∞

in thunar thats possible: view/side panel/(or something)            deactivate checker. You can do it by hotkey;

#30 2011-05-25 09:46:31

urlwolf

My list is simply about thunar. Mostly about using screen space and excessive handholding.
1- do not confirm-popup when I shift delete
2- Padding around the file listing area is too big
3- let me delete items that I didn't put there on the bookmarks list (trash, fs, network, desktop).
4- make menu bar hideable

Why the concern about screen realstate? when using a tiling window manager, windows can get pretty small. It's irritating when thunar is 1/3 of the monitor height, and your bookmarks are 'below the fold' while the system default, that we never use, are on top.

#31 2011-05-25 12:49:57

wkr

2- Padding around the file listing area is too big

Sttttttrongly agree

#32 2011-05-27 19:18:32

SunFreex

That's what I would like to see in future versions of XFCE
Thunar:
1. Set as integrated search files.
2. Set as the ability to change the background as in Nautilus
3. Ability to remove the question about deleting files from the Recycle
Bin

XFCE Desktop:
Ability to remove the background from desktop icons

XFCE panels:
Normal menu editor

XFWM4:
Compiz compatibility

Sincerely.
Sorry for bad English.

#33 2011-05-28 09:45:14

xf∞

xf4wm and compiz - window's managers, like gtk,plasma...
So they will never be united.

You can change background in Thunar, but you have to edit gtk-theme you're using

#34 2011-05-28 10:31:29

SunFreex

xf∞ wrote:

xf4wm and compiz - window's managers, like gtk,plasma...
So they will never be united.

You can change background in Thunar, but you have to edit gtk-theme you're using

Нужно чтобы по нормальному, без конфигов.
А xfwm4 чтобы как декоратор использовать.
It is necessary that on normal, with no config.
A xfwm4 to use as a decorator.

#35 2011-05-28 12:49:27

Anzhr

SunFreex wrote:

XFCE Desktop:
Ability to remove the background from desktop icons

This is possible in Mint Xfce with their Mint Xfce 4 Desktop settings tweak tool.

#36 2011-05-31 08:52:49

xf∞

SunFreex, вот несколько вариантов:
http://blogs.gnome.org/thos/2007/08/27/unnamed-project/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … ight=gtkrc + конфиги
Или же Gnome Color Chooser.

#37 2011-06-02 01:51:43

Jristz

Thunar
- Tabbled like Nautilus
- No gvfs dependencies (actualy you need gvfs, gnome-disk-utility, gtk3... [60-120MB depending of the distribution)
- option for make soft/symbolic links

Panel and applet
- xfce4-netstatus look like old gnome2 nm-applet/networkmanager
- Own  menu editor, many distros deprecated alacarte by a bug related to gnome3 and theyrs doped configs settings (that make crash alacarte or in instalable from sources)

XFWM4
- tilling like option for acomodate windows (look like exposé but for no-3D capable hadware)

Desktop in general
- Make the posibiliti to put icons in de-oreder (no grinded)

Themes
- Only a theme gtk2/gtk3 compatible (only theme), why?, possible the 2012, much more apps  remaked/makes in gtk3, and for compatibility for theming

Sorry bad english
- I self learnt english

Last edited by Jristz (2011-06-02 03:22:08)

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#38 2011-06-02 11:44:49

catkin

Two suggestions for Thunar.  Firstly the possibility to paste a file or directory as a symlink and secondly to have a "date+time deleted" column in Trash.

#39 2011-06-02 16:29:55

Sideburns
Website

I'd like to be able to delete files from Thunar.  Right now, all I can do is send them to the trash, which is *not* deleting.  IMAO, when you delete something it's *gone,* not moved to another directory and that's the behavior I expect.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#40 2011-06-02 18:56:04

xf∞

Jristz, nm-applet(without XfApplet):
4XfzyWna.png

#41 2011-06-02 19:54:10

catkin

Sideburns wrote:

I'd like to be able to delete files from Thunar.  Right now, all I can do is send them to the trash, which is *not* deleting.  IMAO, when you delete something it's *gone,* not moved to another directory and that's the behavior I expect.

Shift+Delete?

#42 2011-06-02 20:13:49

Sideburns
Website

Thank you, Catkin.  Now, is there a way I can reverse that so that Delete actually does delete files and I can forget that Shift-Delete has a meaning?  (If I think I might want a file back, I rename it, I don't put it in the Trash.)

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#43 2011-06-03 06:26:31

Jristz

@xf00 the problem is xfaplet, depend from gnome-panel from gnome2 and the deprecated gnome-panel-bonono (or how you distro called), and for example...in arch is removed fom repos (suposeli, breack the gnome3 panel), and read that ubuntu for oneric droped equal (and read that other no-well-know-distros droped equal) if you know another form that emulate this but not using xfapplet are welcome

thanks for all

PD: sorry again for bad english, if you want in my native lang (for traslating yourself) send pm

#44 2011-06-14 21:03:52

jannis
Website

I won't reply to all individual requests for Thunar but here's two replies for questions that were raised several times:

1. In Xfce 4.10 (or Thunar 1.4.0), the size of the main file manager window will be reduced by a bit, as you can see on the following Wiki page: http://wiki.xfce.org/design/thunar/window-layout. This is already implemented.

2. There will be a new shortcuts side pane in Thunar 1.4.0 that will allow you to hide items you don't want to see and show items that are always hidden in Thunar 1.2.0, like system partitions. This side pane will also support bookmarks for remote locations and will show archives as devices after they have been mounted. You can read more about the features on this wiki page: http://wiki.xfce.org/design/thunar/shortcuts-pane. Hopefully this will solve many of the problems people have with the current version of Thunar.

#45 2011-09-06 02:40:40

Jristz

jannis wrote:

I won't reply to all individual requests for Thunar but here's two replies for questions that were raised several times:

1. There will be a new shortcuts side pane in Thunar 1.4.0 that will allow you to hide items you don't want to see and show items that are always hidden in Thunar 1.2.0, like system partitions. This side pane will also support bookmarks for remote locations and will show archives as devices after they have been mounted. You can read more about the features on this wiki page: http://wiki.xfce.org/design/thunar/shortcuts-pane. Hopefully this will solve many of the problems people have with the current version of Thunar.

OMC (yes C not G) look osom
I cannot wait
good job, realy god job

Post data:
but the present 1.2.2..the gnome3.x-icons for xdg-user-dirs overwrites the tango-icons equivalents, tested in debian-testing, archlinux and gentoo (not tested for me)

#46 2012-05-26 00:55:56

Magnus

Window manager themes and title bar font should be in the Appearance settings, not the Window Manager settings, since it's confusing. Also the Window Manager Tweaks should be included in the Window Manager settings.

Thunar should have a way to search files without setting up a catfish custom command. I know it's possible to search files on a folder but it only works to search filenames that begin with a string of letters and only searches in the current folder.

Finally, the application finder takes a while to start up. Perhaps it could be integrated on the Xfce menu?

#47 2012-05-26 14:31:50

Keith Hedger
Website

bohu wrote:

it would also be really cool if I could tag wallpapers with theme info so that selecting a wallpaper would automatically select the theme, window manager, fonts and cursor that go with it.

Try this:
http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/X … ent=149647

After saving a custom theme clicking it will set wallpaper/wallpaper style/brightness/icons/fonts etc etc.

Board footer