Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-09 20:41:10

factor-h

GLITCH: Rotated fonts on side panels.

Though reading is easily done top down as left right...
Fonts are NOT easily recognizable when rotated by more than 45º

The only good aspect of rotating fonts this way is that you can twist your head to read a vertical text properly from left to right (not really needed) and get the font rotated by 90º minus the neck twist you can bare.

Having got a neck bruise, I would advise anyone using side panels to limit them to what they are good for:
Icon Applications! ... At least until fonts return to it's natural position (reading naturally) and therefore visible.
There's nothing wrong on stacked chars, as every vertical flag type advertisement shows.

Rotating fonts is a no-no.
And stacked fonts only have the vertical char size to respect, though the separation pixels are more numerous than in horizontal reading. Note:  Chars use vertical movement more than horizontal space like an l or a t show. The munus signal shows the need for extra pixels where movement coincides with reading.

Do not get me wrong. I've waited many years for vertical panels. They are getting better.
And waiting to see those Applets with several graphics to stack it's parts that can become square.
But while waiting, it's usage for launchers is excellent, specially now that they can be less promiscuous by accepting transparency with it's background detected and made transparent.

A lovely and nice touch specially now, with screens having such wide borders.
And getting slimmer with the use of horizontal panels. This is another extra point for XFCE to grab, with good vertical panels being needed.

Last edited by factor-h (2011-04-09 21:19:45)

#2 2011-04-09 22:03:13

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: GLITCH: Rotated fonts on side panels.

So, what exactly do you want in less then 50 words?

Board footer