Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-13 11:33:14

nsw42

dummy question: xfce and gnome?

Hello there,

now that gnome released version 3 of their product ... I somewhat fear that they will abandon any 2.x efforts.
I think gnome is not exactly famous for fixing bugs - especially in outdated releases.

So, now my question: will that be a problem for xfce? In the sense of: components of gnome being
used within xfce ... that will no longer be maintained?

Or is xfce in that sense completely independent of gnome; and therefore no problems to be expected?

greetings,
nsw42

#2 2011-04-13 14:49:02

escapingsummer

Re: dummy question: xfce and gnome?

Xfce does share the GTK toolkit which gnome uses, however for the most part it wouldn't have a major effect on us. Applets for the gnome panel that you use under Xfapplet may become unmaintained since gnome has adopted a new interface but other programs should run normally. The only major roadblock I could see would be a future GDM release causing a problem, in which case Xfce users could switch to slim, lxdm, or another display manager of their choice.

"True sophistication and ingenuity comes from trying to solve complicated things by the simplest of means."

Desktop- Fedora XFCE x86_64
Netbook- Modified Fedora 14 security spin -fluxbox/Fedora XFCE

#3 2011-04-14 03:05:23

escapingsummer

Re: dummy question: xfce and gnome?

By the way if you are interested in what the future holds for Xfce (to perhaps calm your fears) here is a link to the road map for 4.10

"True sophistication and ingenuity comes from trying to solve complicated things by the simplest of means."

Desktop- Fedora XFCE x86_64
Netbook- Modified Fedora 14 security spin -fluxbox/Fedora XFCE

Board footer