Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-24 12:00:07

metalball

Mouse middle button scroll direction

Hey all,

Totally new to XFCE here, and i have 2 say that I LOVE IT!
Although i'm running it on a VM from W7, i'm still LOVING it.

I have a question though, sometimes there is a weird bug which appears from nowhere,
when i'm using mouse middle button scroll, the scroll flips direction, and works horizontally instead of vertically.

I've looked everywhere, and didn't find anything on that... in the Settings Manager -> Mouse there is no scroll direction property or whatever,
and I have to reboot the VM to get it settled.

any idea how to fix it? maybe manually reset the mouse drivers or something? if so, how can it be done?

GREETS!

#2 2011-05-24 16:03:50

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Mouse middle button scroll direction

You can check the buttonmap of the device (xinput command in a terminal), but I doubt this is related to Xfce or Xorg in general.

#3 2011-05-25 13:16:45

shawnhcorey
Website

I'm having a similar problem.  I have the Multi-Links addon for Firefox that uses the middle-mouse button to select links.  It works in GNOME but not in XFCE.  If I activate the right-mouse button, it works, so there's no problem with the addon.  Something is capturing the button click before it gets to the application.

#4 2011-05-25 19:28:54

metalball

I must say that so far i'm so impressed by the lightness of XFCE, i've installed it on my laptop instead of Gnome, and I can't believe that in 280MB of RAM after boot fully loaded i have much more functional Desktop.

As for the problem, I believe that in my case the problem was the VirtualBox, as I was running the VM in Seamless mode the problem came back all the time, while today i used FullScreen mode only, and the issue didn't appear once!

However, it seems that MiddleButton action missing from the Mouse Settings panel, so I can't really control the MB function... Currently it does something weird, it duplicates selected text. It would be nice to have control over of the button.

#5 2011-05-25 21:46:36

Nick
Dev
Website

That's a feature, called the selection clipboard (all desktops have this, backed into Xorg). Mouse configuration is getting better in 4.10, I've just released xfce4-settings-4.9.0 with (among other things) wacom and synaptics settings.

#6 2011-05-26 11:29:18

shawnhcorey
Website

Nick wrote:

That's a feature, called the selection clipboard (all desktops have this, backed into Xorg). Mouse configuration is getting better in 4.10, I've just released xfce4-settings-4.9.0 with (among other things) wacom and synaptics settings.

So, there's a configuration file somewhere that can be changed to turn off this behaviour?  You won't by any change know its path?

#7 2011-05-26 13:03:34

Nick
Dev
Website

You can map the middle mouse-click button to something else with the ButtonMapping option in Xorg.conf, but that implies getting rid of the middle mouse button altogether. I don't know of an option to disable this in Xorg.

Board footer