Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-27 07:39:42

Invisible

Several problems after an update

Hi,

I'm using xfce4 on debian, after an update some things about xfce and thunar changed, maybe I should ask some of those somewhere else, so if you could point me to the right place for those questions that would be great. The versions are: (thunar 1.2.1-6) and (xfce4 4.6.2).

The problems are:

- The 'start' button (the one with the mouse) has disappeared from the bar, I tried to put it back (right click > add new items), but it is not listed. So far I am using the terminal and right click on the desktop, but I miss my button.
- I use several accounts at the same time, for instance I su to another user on a terminal and I start thunar from there, now if I open a file (right click > choose program or double click) thunar dies, that didn't happen before.
- Thumbnailers for images are not working anymore, I don't know if they may work for the videos. I can see the thumbnails that were already stored, but no new thumbnails are generated.
- Now I cannot turn off the computer. I don't know what changed in the settings, but the button to log out offered me at least 3 options before (log out, restart, and shut down) I think I could hibernate too, but I'm not sure. Now I have the same 3 options, but two are disabled, I can only log out. To turn off the computer I'm using su > #poweroff.

There may be something more, but this is what I remember at this time. I noticed files in the trash had a lock (like an emblem on them), which wasn't the case before if I'm not mistaken, (right click > empty trash worked perfectly despite of that) maybe all these problems may be related with permissions or how permissions are handled by xfce, thunar or both (I don't think permissions for any file have changed), I cannot check file permissions with right click on the files in the trash, which may be related, I dunno.

If you need any more details I'll be pleased to give them, I would like xfce and thunar to return to their previous behaviour. If this is not the right place to ask, I'm sorry, and if you could point me to the right place that would be great.

Thank you.

#2 2012-01-03 14:34:12

Invisible

Re: Several problems after an update

also, if I plug a pen drive the corresponding icon appears on the desktop, but it is not mounted, I cannot mount it either with right click > mount, so far I'm doing that as root on the command line.

This seems to be related with permissions, and it's quite weird.

Thank you.

Board footer