Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-19 10:26:59

blighme

Window borders go black at logon, sometimes

Hello

Since I installed Linux Mint 11, coming with the new version of Xfce 4.8.0 in repos, I got some strange behaviour of Xfwm4: sometimes, after logon, starting any program would bring up windows with black borders , as if the selected color would be black. Changing something in the window manager's properties (font, color, anyother theme) would restore the correct color, then the session would continue as normal. This doesn't happen all the time, after every logon.
A few days ago, I got from xfce-look.org the "clearlooks" theme for Xfwm, to match the rest. With this one installed, the change in color never happened. Taking a peek into the theme folders, I noticed that "Default 4.6" and "Kokodi" -- the ones I've been using -- both have xpm and png files, while "clearlooks" doesn't, so it may be a cause, or not.
Now, I could spend a day or so and starting 100 times the session with one theme, then with the other 100 times, for 10 themes with xpm and png, then for the others, same process, but it's a fairly tedious work, not to mention time consuming... but it would reveal if that is the problem.
On the other hand, whenever I install a new version of linux, I do it with a separate partition of /home, but with a different user, so I can work with the settings I'm importing. This time wasn't any different and it may, as well, be a cause, even if this was ther first thing I tried -- deleting the settings for Xfwm then starting a new session -- with no change.

So, avoiding a too long post, if this thing happened to someone else, it may be a new bug/glitch/etc, as I couldn't see something similar in the sticky, but if I am the only one, then the problem is all mine and I'll solve it somehow. My specs are: HP Pavilion dv7-1053ez with C2D 2.3GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 9600M GT 512MB DDR2 VRAM, 320GB HDD, Linux Mint 11 x64 with Xfce 4.8.0 (from official repos, except xfce-session 4.8.1, which I got from debian, for the restart/shutdown that only logs off problem -- partly solved, though, and the Xfwm problem happened since the beginning).

Vlad

#2 2011-12-15 21:35:06

jimwg

Re: Window borders go black at logon, sometimes

Seasons Greetings!

The cure for this subject could be my remedy too: what app is out there to allow me to change window frame colors?

Thanks for any hint!

JimWG

Board footer