Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-30 09:03:52

AG

Formatting the layout of items in the panel

I have two panels, one at the top and one at the bottom.  The latter I use only for workspace-switcher and the task list, while the top I use for launchers, time/date and the system tray.  The panel settings are to use the whole width of the screen.  In both top and bottom, these are all bunched up in the left hand corner and I want to distribute them more evenly across the panel, so that the exit is in the top right, and the menu remains top left, etc.  How can I format the location of items in the panel?

This is Xfce4 4.6.2 (Xfce 4.6) on Debian stable.

Many thanks

#2 2011-07-30 09:37:44

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Formatting the layout of items in the panel

Use and expanding separator. Note that you are using a old version of Xfce, 4.8 is out since January.

#3 2011-07-30 09:45:06

AG

Nick wrote:

Use and expanding separator. Note that you are using a old version of Xfce, 4.8 is out since January.

Yes, it is in Sid but not (at present) in stable.  I'll work on it some more and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

#4 2011-07-30 10:01:57

AG

Hmmm have been playing around with this suggestion, and now I have a series of lines all over the panel which look crap.  I could try to change those to empty spaces, but it certainly requires a large number of these spacers that have no other function than to fill up space.  Why can't the panel just have an option to format it - like left/ right/ centred/ justified or even have it set up in regions, or - even better - allow the user to manually slide the icon into the desired position and then lock it there.  The Gnome panel has the latter functionality and it is so much better in terms of arranging the icons as one likes rather than messing about inserting umpteen number of separators just to avoid the icons all bunching up in a corner.

Has this been addressed in 4.8 or is it likely to receive some attention in future releases?

Thanks

#5 2011-07-30 14:01:20

Nick
Dev
Website

You just need 2 separators to do all that, just set it to expand in the properties.

And no, Xfce is not going to support arranging like the Gnome panel has.

Board footer