Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-10 16:43:44

taylorkh

Can Thunar connect to a remote server over ssh (sftp)?

I have Xubuntu 10.04 running as a VMWare guest on my Ubuntu 10.04 host.  I have edited /etc/hosts on the Xubuntu guest to include the address of the host (I am not running a local dhcp server).  I can ping the host from the guest. I can also connect to the host from the guest in a terminal using ssh. 

However, Thunar does not seem to have any way to make a connection to a remote server (as Nautilus does). Can anyone help me with this?

I realize I can export a file system on the host with nfs and mount it from the guest.  I try to minimize the use of nfs due to security concerns.

TIA,

Ken

#2 2011-08-10 20:22:56

Ailurus

Re: Can Thunar connect to a remote server over ssh (sftp)?

Hi, I don't know whether my reply will be useful, however: you can simply press Ctrl + L in Thunar, and then type ftp://... or smb://... -- if you have installed the right plugins, that is. I don't use sftp or ssh myself, but I suspect you can use it in a similar way.

#3 2011-08-10 21:01:07

taylorkh

Re: Can Thunar connect to a remote server over ssh (sftp)?

Thanks again Ailurus.  You are two for two. I was not able to connect with stfp:// but on Xubuntu 11.04 I was able to connect back to the host over smb.  That allowed me to copy some sample files which I wanted to try and search with catfish.  And it appears that catfish cannot search pdf files. So I guess I am about 1/2 for 2 at this point.  Ken

Board footer