Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-02 15:29:45

kodis

Automounting vs Right-click Applications Menu

It seems that I can either have removable media automatically recognized and displayed on the desktop, ready to be mounted, or I can have the a right click on the desktop go directly to the Applications menu, but I can't have both!  Apparently, the recognition of removable  media is controlled by the setting of the Desktop -> Icons -> Icon type selection:

- Choosing the "File/launcher icon" selection allows removable media to be automatically recognized, but also causes a desktop right click to bring up a file manager menu rather than the Applications menu; while

- Choosing the "None" or "Minimized applications icon" selections causes removable media to no longer be recognized, but also allows a desktop right click to go directly to the Applications menu.

This seems like quite an odd and undiscoverable combination of functions to be controlled by an icon type selection.

Is there any way to have removable media automatically recognized while still allowing a desktop right click to go directly to the Applications menu rather than to the file manager menu?

(Xfce 4.8 on Fedora version 15)

#2 2011-09-02 15:51:39

kodis

Re: Automounting vs Right-click Applications Menu

Looking through the Applications menu gives the solution to part of this puzzle: the Applications -> Removable Drives and Media menu provides check boxes for "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" and for "Mount removable media when inserted" both of which seem to handle removable device recognition and mounting. 

Unfortunately, while the next option in this menu, "Browse removable media when inserted" sounds like it should cause a device icon to be displayed when removable media is inserted, it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

This isn't too bad: it means that I still have to su to root in order to dismount a volume before removing it, but I can live with that.

Board footer