Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-12 21:39:03

CodeLabMaster

Changing Icon Behaviors

Hi there,

I'm in my first week of linux usage, so I'm not quite sure how to find out my version of xfce, but I'm running what was installed by default on crunchbang 10 r20110207, which I'm pretty sure is the latest version. EDIT: I think I have xfce 4.6.2, since that the version it lists for a good handful of packages in aptitude.

I really like how lightweight xfce is while still having all the bare necessities, so I've been using it this past week, and I've loved it, but I've had one problem with it: icon behavior. I previous used windows, so I'm used to being able to drag files into directories on the desktop and having them moved there, but with the icons in xfce, the default behavior is to copy the files into the directories. Is there any way to change that?

Also, I been messing around with shortcut keys that change the directory that's displayed on the desktop. Right now, I'm editing ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs and then killing the xfdesktop process to make it reload, but unfortunately that takes a second or two and doesn't look pretty during it's transition. Is there a better way to do this? If I try xfdesktop --reload, it doesn't work the way I'd expect.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CodeLabMaster (2011-09-12 22:04:07)

#2 2011-09-13 19:45:33

herd
Website

Re: Changing Icon Behaviors

Hi there too,

- holding shift and shift+ctrl while dragging should change the overlay drag icon and give the usual hints.
- see http://www.unix.com/man-page/OpenSolari … rs-update/ for modifying user directories. xfdesktop --reload should work after that.

wkr,

herd

Last edited by herd (2011-09-13 19:45:54)

#3 2011-09-14 00:20:33

CodeLabMaster

Re: Changing Icon Behaviors

Thanks herd, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

xdg-user-dirs-update makes it a lot easier to do what I was looking to do, as before I was doing it by hand. Unfortunately, xfdesktop --reload still isn't working for me. Is there something I'm missing?

Board footer