Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-13 06:07:22

various suggestions/questions from a first time user

After using Xfce 4.8 (on debian wheezy) for maybe a week and a half now, I've decided it's great. There's just a few small things/suggestions/questions that have built up in my mind during the past week and a half.

1. Does xfdesktop draw the wallpaper to the root window? It doesn't seem to. For example, if I turn on fake transparency in conky or xfce-terminal, I just get a black background as opposed to part of the root window as the background. Is there any way to force it to draw to the root window?

2. Would it be possible to allow xfdesktop to have a custom root menu, similar to the usage of a standalone WM?

3. Why are orage and the app finder considered dependencies? (At least in the debian package they are). It doesn't seem like something terribly necessary for a DE. (Also, what is an app finder? I don't understand the purpose). Could I forcefully remove them without breaking any shared components?

4. Is there an option to not use the trash bin at all in Thunar? I've googled this, but the only solution I've found is to shift+delete every file.

Those are just some small things that were on my mind. Otherwise, I'm fairly content with Xfce. Thanks for this great DE. I really hope it stays the way it is now, in complete opposition to the nonsense other DE's try to pass off as quality.

#2 2011-09-13 07:03:45

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: various suggestions/questions from a first time user

1. No that is disabled because it caused X to segfault after an xorg-server release.

2. Xfdesktop is a bit of a mess atm (because the main dev left during the 4.8 development phase), we're planning to integrate it as a module in Thunar for 4.10 and fix the loose ends.

3. Appfinder is a core module, because it is since ages. Whine at the distro if you want this to change wink, however in 4.10 is will also be the xfrun4 replacement.

4. There are patches floating for this on the www, but we're not inclined to support this, because it's just evil.

#3 2011-09-13 23:04:57

stqn

4) you can make a custom action in Thunar that calls "rm". There, no confirmation smile. (I'm using this a lot.)

#4 2011-09-15 06:00:05

Sideburns
Website

Nick, I go back to the days when a CLI interface was a great leap forward from decks of punched cards.  (which I also used)  To me, the concept of the Trash is just plain evil; gone is gone.  If you're not sure you want to get rid of a file, don't delete it, rename it until you're sure is my attitude.  One of the first things I do with any DE is get rid of the Trash Can on the desktop, and I'd really rather not having it waste space on my panel.  For that matter, I have no use for that pointless panel icon that minimizes everything so that you can see your desktop because there are exactly two programs that I ever maximize, and with four workspaces, I've always got more room than I need.  I, for one, would love to get rid of both of them permanently and have the default for Thunar (on my computers) be that selecting Delete means Delete, not "move to the trash can."

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#5 2011-09-15 13:22:46

xfce257

@Sideburns
Perhaps there will be a option 4.10 to disable trash? I agree with you I hate the trash can sometimes it doesn't move the files in trash very weird.
But anyway I like Xfce perhaps the developers have some time to intergrate this it shouldn't be that hard.

#6 2011-09-17 08:06:02

mmassonnet
Website

sticky wrote:

1. Does xfdesktop draw the wallpaper to the root window? It doesn't seem to. For example, if I turn on fake transparency in conky or xfce-terminal, I just get a black background as opposed to part of the root window as the background. Is there any way to force it to draw to the root window?

http://blog.mmassonnet.info/2011/08/xfc … conky.html

The only way I could get Conky to work correctly was with own_window yes. It has its disavantages but it works fine.

Mike

Board footer