Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-29 15:36:17

Pierre Thibault

[Solved] Adjusting sound volume

Hello,

I am able to adjust the sound volume using my keyboard but I have steps of 33% so the control is not very fine. This gives me only three levels to choose from. How is it possible to change this value? Something like 5% would be much better. I made a search on the subject but the solutions I found seem to be outdated. I was unable to find a practical solution yet.

Thanks.

#2 2011-10-01 14:36:35

Methos

Re: [Solved] Adjusting sound volume

I don't know if this is to 100% the solution you're looking for, but that's the way how I have configured the volume keys...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf … me_buttons
There is also mentioned a daemon "xfce4-volumed", which I didn't know and I didn't use. Maybe this is installed and running in your distro and maybe these informations give you at least an idea for finding a solution.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
(Abraham Maslow)

#3 2011-10-01 15:12:07

Pierre Thibault

Thank you. This was enough to create a solution. I created the shortcuts as you said to control the volume. It works fine. I also unchecked GMixer from Session and Startup. GMixer was handling my volume keys before the shortcut was created. The only inconvenient is that the volume level is not displayed in the middle of the screen when I change it but this is a minor inconvenient.

#4 2011-10-03 09:57:57

angstrom

Normally, if you install xfce4-volumed, when the volume change by amixer command or the panel mixer, there will be notification bar that appear  on the top right (or somewhere else depending on your general notifications position configuration)

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#5 2011-10-03 15:10:58

Pierre Thibault

I see. It was not installed. So I did the install. I was able to see the volume meter but the behavior was weird. When I pressed the key to lower the volume, the volume often went to zero in one step. When I raised the volume, the maximum volume was often 74%. It is not reliable. The behavior is erratic. It was working perfectly without it so I removed it. Now the keys are working fine again.

Last edited by Pierre Thibault (2011-10-03 15:11:56)

Board footer