Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-05 12:55:10

primvirlaux

[Solved] Problem with customizing the Applications Menu

Hey.

I'm pretty new to Linux in general and Xfce in particular, so please forgive my cluelessness.

I'm running Xubuntu 11.04.

Tried to add an entry to the applications menu, following the xfce wiki article (http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu) and some related threads I found on this forum, but I'm stuck.

I wanted the two entries 'Web Browser' and 'Mail Reader' to disappear from the root level of the appl. menu, which I managed to do by editing them and adding 'NoDisplay=true'.

Then I tried to add Firefox and Chromium instead to the root level, by adding 'X-Xfce-Toplevel;' to 'Categories', which seemed to be what the wiki suggested. However, even after a restart the root of the menu is empty. Any idea why?

#2 2011-10-05 16:29:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Problem with customizing the Applications Menu

I was able to get it to work by editing the file /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/menus/xfce-applications.menu and adding an entry to both the <Include> and <Layout> sections of the menu, then running:

xfdesktop --reload

to re-read the menu and display it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2011-10-06 11:01:50

primvirlaux

Re: [Solved] Problem with customizing the Applications Menu

ToZ wrote:

I was able to get it to work by editing the file /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/menus/xfce-applications.menu and adding an entry to both the <Include> and <Layout> sections of the menu, then running:

xfdesktop --reload

to re-read the menu and display it.

Perfect! Works now, just as it should.

On a side note, it doesn't even seem necessary to include Categories=X-Xfce-Toplevel; in the .desktop file, which is what the wiki article linked above suggests. Not sure if the article is refering to a different environment, or I just misunderstood it, but it appears all you need to do is to edit xfce-applications.menu, as described by ToZ.

Board footer