Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-10 16:16:53

kbd47

Xubuntu fan

I decided to install Xubuntu 10.04 after trying out several desktops. Unity was OK if all you do is surf the web and do email. For any work requiring multiple files and several open windows Unity just didn't cut it. Gnome 3 sucks period. Gnome 2 was great, but they borked it with Gnome 3. The only classic desktop besides the much heavier KDE, or the lighter weight, less configurable LXDE, was Xfce so it was really a no brainer for me.
kbd47

#2 2011-11-22 21:32:47

greg-nz
Website

Re: Xubuntu fan

I tried out Unity on my laptop, and rather liked the full-screen apps and side-launcher/dock (which I set to autohide). So I installed xfce on my two older machines, which didn't have the graphics capability to run Unity, and configured it to reproduce some of those features. So by logging into xfce while running Ubuntu, I guess I now have something like Xubuntu.

Then I thought, "Hey, now that I have xfce and it's working so well, why do I need Unity?" The extra features that Unity provides are almost all eye-candy. And xfce provides some cool themes, coupled with a simple interface that you can tweak to suit your own needs and that doesn't get in the way.

That said, I think Unity will be attractive to new users and as an interface that will also work with touch screens. So I'm not opposed to Canonical's move. I'm not, in this sense, a refugee from Unity, simply a contented user of Ubuntu who has chosen another path. Thanks to all the xfce developers for their wonderful work!

Board footer