Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-18 19:48:51

israel

[Solved] I can't change my background

Hi, I am running Xubuntu 11.10 which comes with Xfce 4.8

I am unable to alter my background image.  I have done the obvious things in the GUI System tools.
Is there a file somewhere I can edit manually?I have deleted the stuff in ~/.cache/sessions
in an attempt to purge this problem, and I have searched a lot.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

#2 2011-10-18 20:37:27

Mellowbob

Re: [Solved] I can't change my background

In the applications menu -> Settings -> settings-manager -> desktop should bring up a gui to make changes.

#3 2011-10-18 23:49:20

israel

I should have been more clear...  I have done that, and it is set to something, but the background doesn't reflect what I have chosen.  I also have done the RIGHT click menu on the desktop and that doesn't bring up anything at all.

I am a little frustrated, because it would seem logical that your solution would have worked, but I have tried it, and I try it about everyday, just in case.

This is actually somewhat complicated.
Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate the quickness.

Anyone who can help I would appreciate it.
Thanks

#4 2011-10-18 23:50:53

Mellowbob

Check to see if nautilus is running ... it takes over the desktop.

#5 2011-10-19 12:15:24

angstrom

Mellowbob wrote:

Check to see if nautilus is running ... it takes over the desktop.

It's very probable that Nautilus is running. To prevent it from starting, go in the Setting manager (xfce4-settings-manager) > Session and Startup
Check Application Autostart and Session tab. Remove any "nautilus" thing. Save session and relog (and you will log faster ;-))

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#6 2011-10-19 15:33:31

israel

I didn't see anything for nautilus in the Session and Startup....  But I did install nautilus to run dropbox.  would purging nautilus fix my issue?  does GDM affect anything?  (in other words... do I need it??)  Oneric (the new Xubuntu) uses LightDM.... could there be an issue there?  Thanks for bearing with me and trying to help.
I checked my task manager and I have gnome-settings-daemon, and gconfd-2 running....  but I also have the gnome keyring (per using Ubuntu).  Are the two settings at odds with each other?  can I purge the gnome stuff without killing my notification area?  should I install a gnome program to manage my background?
kinda bizarre....

#7 2011-10-19 15:42:12

angstrom

Do you have xfdesktop running ? (ps aux | grep -i xfdesktop)
Try to create an empty account then log in with the empty account. See if you can change the wallpaper.
If not, that mean something wrong with the Xfce installation. Try to ask in the Ubuntu/Xubuntu forum

Last edited by angstrom (2011-10-19 15:44:26)

#8 2011-10-19 16:06:10

israel

I do have xfdesktop running... And I have asked on ubuntuforums and launchpad....  no replies yet...  (but the new release is out, and the October release is always pretty buggy compared to April.... so they are probably overwhelmed with "real" problems...)
Ok... another oddity... now I have the background I chose.
This is rather odd.  I have had this issue for a while (a couple weeks) and sometimes it comes up, but most of the time it doesn't work.
I dunno...  so, I don't know if I need to create an empty account or anything.  It works occasionally.

Since you are so helpful... do you know how to get compiz to work well.  Emerald isn't in the new repositories, and I can't change the gtk-window-decorator themes.... so I haven't been using compiz.  Is there a compiz compiled with xfce dependencies (instead of gnome, or KDE?)

#9 2011-10-19 16:14:42

angstrom

Sorry, I don't use compiz.

#10 2011-10-24 14:33:36

israel

It is nautilus....  here is how to change the background..

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Then,

applications-system-dconfeditor

(to open dconf editor) Then....

org-gnome-desktop-background

change the background manually there

Last edited by israel (2011-10-24 14:35:15)

Board footer