Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-03 00:18:54

woodyg

Panel behaviour when hovering over icon

I'm using XFCE 4.8 in Xubuntu 11.10 and I have created a Unity lookalike launcher panel. A few issues bug me, such as e.g. that when I hover over an icon in the panel, then the application name is displayed as in Unity, but the difference is that this "bubble/box" showing up is displayed in different locations depending on where the cursor is (see these screenshots for a few examples). Also, some applications have an additional icon within the "bubble/box" while others have not. Basically, there is a real lack of consistency. What would be desired would be a behaviour as in Unity, where the "bubble/box" is displayed just right to the icon (not over, partly over or under) and where no additional icon is displayed within the "bubble/box".

Is there somewhere I can tweak this behaviour/bug?

#2 2011-11-03 00:46:57

angstrom

Re: Panel behaviour when hovering over icon

The "bubble/box" is a tooltip of an icon. It will always appear new to the cursor. You can disable the tooltip by going in the launcher properties, then "Advanced" tab, Disable tooltips.
Some tooltips don't have icon : I think it because yout icon don't have all the differents size.

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-11-03 22:54:26

woodyg

Tooltip... yes that is the proper word! And thanks for the other info.

Also, is it possible to (if tweaking relevant files) to adjust the position where the tooltip is located. At the moment it is based on the cursor position, which is clearly bonkers...

#4 2011-11-04 00:02:36

angstrom

Tooltip appear next to the cursor as the user attention is the cursor. You don't have to go throught the whole screen to search for something that is where your attention is ... like in Gnome3. It's only my point of view.
I'm not a developper of Xfce but I don't think that you can force where tooltips appear.

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#5 2011-11-04 08:41:01

woodyg

Surely there must be somewhere it says that the tooltip "appear A pixels to the right & B pixels beneath of cursor". What I mean is, it could as well state "appear C pixels to the right of the icon". This can of course be hard coded somewhere deep in xfce, what do I know... but I thought there might be a slight chance of changing behaviour by just modifying some kind of theme/panel configuration file.

Board footer