Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-11 20:58:57

crazy bird
Website

Menu

Hi,

question:
Under Ubuntu there's an option to edit/modify the Main menu (System > Preferences > Mainmenu).
Is there such an option under Xfce 4.8 available? Or is it a Xubuntu question???

#2 2011-11-12 04:02:14

angstrom

Re: Menu

For the moment, Xfce don't have a menu editor. See : wiki
There is tool that you can use to edit Xfce menu : Alacarte (but it's Gnome tool I think ...) There are some topics about menu editing on the forum. Search for "alacarte"

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-11-12 07:51:48

wkr

You can try LX Menu. More limited but no gnome dependencies.

#4 2011-11-13 16:26:25

crazy bird
Website

wkr wrote:

You can try LX Menu. More limited but no gnome dependencies.

It's not in the repo's. Where can i find that tool?

Just took a look around and there are so many solutions. Most solutions regards editing some files by hand which i'm not very trusted with (i'm not a programmer ;-) ).

I just want to hide some programs in the menu, that's all.

Last edited by crazy bird (2011-11-13 16:32:10)

#5 2011-11-14 06:45:42

John_Jason_Jordan

I'm new to xfce, after years of Gnome, currently on Fedora 14 x86_64. So far I like xfce, but I need to edit the application menu. I've spent the past several hours trying to figure out how to edit the menu, but all the explanations that I have found in the forums fail for me:

1) I tried alacarte (which I am familiar with in Gnome), but it displays the menu settings that I have in Gnome (Gnome is still installed). Any changes I make to the menus will affect Gnome, but probably not xfce. If alacarte could edit xfce menus it would display the current xfce application menu. Or maybe I need to specify a parameter to the alacarte launch command?

2) I can't use LX Menu editor because I don't have lxde installed and I hate to install it just for the menu editor. Besides, it would probably do the same thing as alacarte.

3) Several have suggested editing files in /etc/xdg, but I don't have the same files. I opened several likely suspects, but they cannot be the files that xfce is using. For example, in my desktop application menu the third set of folders show "Preferences" and "Accessories." I found a file that listed menu items, but it listed the second of these as "Administration," not "Accessories." (And the items listed under Accessories really are Administration items.)

Somehow xfce has really messed up my menu of installed applications. Applications are scattered all over the menus, and most are in the wrong folders. Several are completely missing, yet there are a dozen new ones that I have never heard of before. I really need to edit the application menu. If I can't figure out how to edit the application menu it's kind of a show stopper for me.

I sure hope someone can give me clear instructions on how to edit the applications menu.

Linguistics on Linux!

Board footer