Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-15 21:18:38

jimwg

[Solved] Workspace Switcher moves apps in panes under hotlinks

Seasons Greetings!

This problem might not be the fault of xfce but the Workspace Switcher app itself. In Gnome, when I have Iceweasel in Workspace Switcher pane 1 and Icedove in pane 2, whenever I hit a hotlink in Icedove, it opens a new tab in Iceweasel in pane 1 as it should. However in Xfce, when I do the same, Iceweasel in pane 1 moves into pane 2 with Icedove and leaves pane 1 empty, so I have to manually drag Iceweasel back to pane 1.  If there a fix for this?

Thanks,

JimWG

#2 2011-12-21 09:58:06

LupusMichaelis

Re: [Solved] Workspace Switcher moves apps in panes under hotlinks

I have the same need : opening all links from RSS viewer and MUA, then look them in browser to read if appropriate. But with the window poping in my face everytime I click a link, it is quite annoying big_smile

#3 2011-12-21 14:32:33

LupusMichaelis

So, that was so simple I'm ashamed :-/ It is a simple setting in XFCE4 standard setting manager :
Application Menu > Settings > Settings Manager
window Manager Tweaks > [Focus] > [When a window raises itself] (x) Do nothing

#4 2011-12-22 01:35:11

jimwg

LupusMichaelis wrote:

So, that was so simple I'm ashamed :-/ It is a simple setting in XFCE4 standard setting manager :
Application Menu > Settings > Settings Manager
window Manager Tweaks > [Focus] > [When a window raises itself] (x) Do nothing

No, it wasn't a silly or simple problem. We naturally assumed something was wrong because that correct setting is apparently default under Gnome. To help keep Xfce newbies and surfers from being as confused and vexed by such "nagging little things" and moving on to another GUI, Switcher should automatically adjust accordingly under Xfce.

Seasons Greetings!

JimWG

#5 2011-12-22 08:38:01

Nick
Dev
Website

Define "correct". What if you click a link and forgot about the browser in that other workspace?

#6 2011-12-22 11:14:17

jimwg

Nick wrote:

Define "correct". What if you click a link and forgot about the browser in that other workspace?

Now that I understand what's going on everything's peachy keen, but just for the sake of eliminating confusion Switcher should initially act like it does in Gnome default, especially if Gnome users are looking for lightweight alternatives and find Xfce "acting strange" because the default settings aren't the same. No one's saying Xfce users have to be clones of Gnome users, but it'd be the user friendly way of winning over their first tries on an alternate GUI by acting similiar and familiar at start.

Seasons Greetings!

JimWG

Board footer