#1 2011-12-26 22:48:16

Chex

Thumblerd troubles

System info:
xfce 4.8
Thunar 1.3.0
Fedora 16

Hello,

My XFCE installation is running great, but there is one thing that bothers me.
Whenever I enter a file system where I keep a lot of media and photos, there is a lot of disk activity going on for more then 5 minutes, my CPU usage goes to about 20%, and I have to wait for about a half a minute to access some sub folders when I click on them. And this happens whenever I enter a folder even if I was the same folder I was in a couple of seconds ago. Using top, the only thing that's out of the ordinary is thumblerd. I tried turning the thumbnails off in the Thunar preferences, but it doesn't help the situation with thumbler at all. Accessing the other partition on the same HDD is fine.

The partition in question is NTFS formated.
Killing thumblerd stops excessive disk activity.
I have "view as detailed list" view as a default and changing that doesn't make things better, it only reactivates the disk activity for another cycle.

Is there any way to optimise, index, turn off, make selective etc. this thumblerd?

My guess is that it has some problems with big files (pics in RAW/PSD and Video files over 10GB), not the number of files so perhaps if there was a setting where I could tell it not to try and make thumbnails for certain file types, it could help. It can handle displaying thumbnails in icon view for over 2600 standard jpeg pictures on a different partition on the same disk just fine. Also, shouldn't turning thumbnails in Thunar off effectively turn thumblerd off?

#2 2011-12-27 08:51:51

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Thumblerd troubles

That tumbler runs when the option is uncheck is indeed a bug. I'll look at this.

Apart from that tumbler is quite efficient to extract thumbnails (for most formats at least). Generation of icons should also be cancelled when you leave the directory in thunar.

#3 2011-12-27 12:14:21

jannis
Website

Nick pointed me to this and it is indeed a regression compared to previous versions. It is now fixed in master (see http://git.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/commit/ … cfde0ae523) and will soon be merged into the xfce-4.8 stable branch for inclusion in the next bugfix release.

#4 2011-12-27 15:30:40

Chex

Thanks for the replies.
This will solve it for me because I don't need thumbnails turned on (using detailed list view anyway).

Board footer