Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-30 10:01:25

aga

thunar: installed xcreensaver EXTRA packages, now 100+ Open With items

I think the (meta)packages are named xscreensaver-extra and xscreensaver-extragl

Anyhow, after installing them, I discovered that each of the 100 (150?) screensaver scripts now appear in the Thunar "Open With" context menu. No, that clutter isn't cool. Did I miss a step along the way, or is it "common fare" to now face the chore of manually editing 100+ desktop files to prevent them from displaying as "Open With" candidates?

#2 2012-01-02 11:18:56

angstrom

Re: thunar: installed xcreensaver EXTRA packages, now 100+ Open With items

Ask your distribution forum. This is a packaging of your Linux distribution I think.

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2012-01-02 22:36:01

demosthenese

It is a packaging issue, and isn't unique to xscreensavers - e.g. why would I ever want to open a file with gnome games components?

If you just want screen locking functionality, you could try lighter lockers, such as xtrlock.

#4 2012-01-04 06:07:08

aga

I decided to entirely remove xscreensaver and all its plugins, for now.
It's a home destop PC. I'm Not interested in a screen locker.
A screen blanker might be eco-friendly (the openGL screensaver applets sure aren't!)

It is a "packaging issue"? As in, the dot.desktop file for each plugin should have been authored with the NoDisplay=true ?

Maybe packages for xscreensaver and plugins should have been scripted to place the dot.desktop files in a non-standard path (to avoid having them detected/included in the DE menu)?

Anyhow, I was just interested in studying the scripting (java 'processing' lib?) involved in creating the screensaver animations.

Board footer