Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-04 07:32:42

aga

xfce "user switching" depends on GDM ?

ref: http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- … tch-plugin

Xfswitch-plugin is a user switching plugin for the Xfce4 Panel. It allows you to leave the current session opened and open a new session with another user. At the moment it relies on GDM, but other display managers will be supported in the future.

projects/panel-plugins/xfswitch-plugin.txt · Last modified: 2009/02/08

Hello 2009.
Have I misread the docs?
In 2012, at "version 4.8"... xfce still cannot support user switching without the GDM dependency?
(which, in turn, brings further gnomey dependencies -- packages that conflict with xyz...)

#2 2012-01-04 10:01:33

jeromeg
Website

Re: xfce "user switching" depends on GDM ?

Hello,

This application is unmaintained.

As for the GDM dependency, at that time (2009) GDM and KDM were the only ones supporting user switching. Implementing an user switching solution without relying on a login manager is way out of our league considering the security issues and it would be too much of a burden to get it done correctly.

That said, if it sounds easy to you, reading your condescending post, feel free to step in to implement this properly.

Cheers,

Jérôme

#3 2012-01-04 20:36:46

Forester

Touché Jérôme !

Aga, what is your complaint ?  That xfce has gnome dependencies or that this orphaned panel plug-in is not maintained ?

What is your Linux distribution ?  I've read that Xubuntu uses lightdm, not gdm and that lightdm offers the same functionality as gdm but has no gnome library dependencies.  So I assume it will offer 'user switching'.  It is available for Debian Testing and I'm sure also for other reputable distributions.

So, cancel whatever plans you had for the weekend, install lightdm, get the source for the orphaned xfswitch-plugin and get it working.  I'm sure you'll be able to find someone who will condescend to code review your work.  wink

Happy hacking,

Forester

#4 2012-01-06 02:27:11

the98

I think if you're gonna work on something, there should be a greeter for the XFCE project. That way you don't depend on any other DM.

Regards.

Board footer