Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-25 13:34:45

jesuisbenjamin

Scale, Switch and Grid on XFCE

As a result of recent DE developments (Gnome Shell, Unity), I have moved from Ubuntu to Xubuntu. I am quite happy about this change because XFCE is light and fast as told and because it is very customisable.

There are however, one or two things I miss from XFCE, and for which I have installed Compiz. I tell myself that perhaps, there are ways to achieve what I want using XFCE alone, so I can drop Compiz.

These features I am looking for are:

• Scale: also known as a exposé, a feature displaying all windows of current desktop on the screen.

• Switch: switch windows using Alt+Tab, which alreay works on XFCE. However I'd like something a bit bigger, perhaps using window thumbnails rather than icons. Is there an alternative window Switch? With Compiz I use a composite Shift Switcher.

• Grid: changes the size and shape of windows according to where they are being dragged around. XFCE provides part of this feature e.g. when I drag a maximized window from the edge of the screen and back, it is being resized (unmaximized and then maximized) accordingly. However, XFCE does not do the inverse i.e. maximize an unmaximized window when dragged to the edge of the screen. Can this be made possible?

Thanks.

Last edited by jesuisbenjamin (2012-01-25 13:41:09)

Board footer