Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-29 05:14:44

heptapod

Is it possible to use a custom workspace switcher with XFCE?

I would like to replace xfce4-panel with a standalone application launcher and a standalone workspace switcher. I know that there are alternative launchers and I'm pretty sure they will work with XFCE, but how about workspace switchers? Are the different workspaces handled in a way specific to XFCE or are they handled according to some open standard? If it is possible, could someone please recommend a good standalone workspace switcher.

#2 2012-01-31 01:31:52

Lightning_John

Re: Is it possible to use a custom workspace switcher with XFCE?

*Launcher*
I use something called synapse.
Try the code.

sudo apt-get install synapse

Once installed execute it and you'll see a small application appear in the launcher panel.
Change the settings in Synapse by clicking the icon. You can choose your start command and if you want it to autostart.
or you can do that manually...
Set an new autostart entry in startup-applications for synapse.
Remove both your launcher bars.
Login, logout and see if it auto-started. It should.

###

Weather you decide to go with pure terminal start-up or synapse you should be aware that it will take time to remember all the application names without the launch panel.

With terminal their are many search applications you can download and you can open terminal hit <tab> and have a complete list of application commands.

Note that many commands for regular applications have command suffixes which makes things more difficult.

###
As for Synapse, if you choose it...
You might want to try it. It launches almost any application and you can adjust it to search, save, index, and do other things to the file system. It recognizes what your typing and guesses the application your looking for (but you have to be close).

It's the fastest launcher I've found yet.

If you really don't like to use the interface (GUI) that much, you could change the settings in terminal to save more line entries and then run your usual applications from there. Really that is the ultimate way to reduce the number of launchers or interface applications you'll need.

*Workspace switcher*
Honestly... I don't think a workspace switcher is too important.
You could try hitting <ALT>+<TAB>

I only use one workspace.

I believe that if I'm running anymore than 5 - 8 applications, then it's too many, why have workspaces?

The only use for workspace switchers is if you like using a mouse all the time.

If you can't use <ALT>+<TAB> and you need to move groups of applications into different workspaces, then unless your type of work requires more than about 8 application GUI's open at once, you don't need a workspace switcher.

Maybe you're into Graphic Design...how should I know...anyway.

I know you can change the command, but the default for wrkspc swtchr is <ctrl>+<alt>+<arrowleft or right>

Which is faster? <ALT>+<tab> of course.

Anyway...you could try searching synaptics and linux forums or online databases for linux applications, but I'm sure the team who packaged Xfce already did that for you and decided on what they believed to be the best wrkspc swtchr.

Good luck with your Desktop, happy Xf-ceeing.

Board footer